Which Third Base?

Three days after the party at Holly's, we sat at the table working our way through our first target lists, sorted by addresses and part of town. A map of the area with coded stickers laid out the addresses on our lists graphically

I paused in my scanning of names and addresses of potential Tommy-targets to consider how much has changed in the last ten days.

For one thing, there is Carol. At the nightly meetings, Carol is in an excellent mood. She did not have to tell any of us why, as we all have a Vampire sense of smell. She is not merely feeding. She is dating.

Then there is the continuing evolution of the relationships inside our own family.

On a daytime trip to Holly's to meet a contractor Helen put us with, Morgan commented about Carol and DeWayne "Well, I suppose if DeWayne turns, he is not joining our little family."

"Because Carol would take his Parole?" I asked

"Yes." Morgan agreed. "It reminds me in a way of you and Jessica. DeWayne is in good shape, and he would be able to keep Carol satisfied in a way most humans probably could not."

"So, poor Anne is being left out in the cold."

"Nothing you can do about that. Angel said you are at capacity." Morgan told me sternly. "If you have extra cycles you are not using, tell me now, because I have been going light on you."

"No. I was not suggesting that I was or am the solution. I was noting that Denise is heating up with Nicola however long distance that is, and Carol is already ready hot with DeWayne. Anne is seeing and smelling everyone around her being happy. Even Rachel, with Helen."

Morgan looked thoughtful. I waited, then asked "What?"

"I don't want Helen to leave us. I don't think she will or even could. However, Rachel has not asked about joining us either." Morgan answered. "I wonder where that is going?" A semi-question at best.

"Does it have to go anywhere?" I asked.

"No. I suppose not." Morgan sounded unconvinced.

"Rachel is, even after more than seven centuries of life, monogamous by nature. She is also in no way shape or form interested in men. Not even a little. She tried a few over the years. They were not to her liking. When she kissed DeWayne, it was even more reserved and non-committal than when she kisses me now and then."

"She has never engaged in sexual relations with you." Morgan pointed out

I was aghast "Of course not! I would never even ask. Don't be silly. She is my friend."

"Yes, yes, do not get your hackles up. However, it is as Helen says: You make love like a woman. Meaning you are a sensitive and caring lover, and you are a hyper. You could read exactly what she likes and give it to her."

"Still NEVER going to ask." I stated with finality.

"Oh, no. Quite right. She should ask you." Morgan agreed.

"That is not going to happen either." I said firmly.

"So. We sail along with a guest lover in our bed?" Morgan asked.

"I think that Rachel views commitment as seriously as we do. Also, I think that the fact that she and Helen have, in total years, been lovers longer than you, Jessica, and I have been alive added together? I think that changes things. Rachel has never done a lot of group things outside Conclave. Our bedroom and our happy ways, including the Guacamole and the showering together and all that are new to her. I look at her sometimes and I see her watching and considering. My opinion. She is thinking about it. You have actually known her longer than I have since you met her back when you were looking for your mother. What do you think it means when we are all in the shower, and she is washing Helen but looking at us with that sort of far-off expression? Oh: one other thing about that: She told me once that she could never compete with Jessica, and lately, Jessica has let Rachel and Helen be fairly exclusive to each other and been a very large percent yours and mine. It is almost like a threesome and a twosome in our bed. How does all that add up for you?"