Northern News

Morgan went upstairs to Rachel, who is making calls. Running down leads. Getting ideas where in town there are homeless colonies. The next best thing for finding people that do not want to be found to the best PI I know is the best reporter I know. Tommy would go to a tent city we thought. It's a good place to be nameless and not need to use any technology that would be traceable. He was off the radar in Vancouver, so he could be here as well. He knows how and from the way he lived in the RV it is clear he is comfortable with a very minimal lifestyle.

Helen is helping me with Dinner. Jessica has the girls. Danny and Lori are getting cleaned up at their place. Marvin is having a 'nap' and Skye is helping. Mom and Dad are making a supply run for us as we are out of a few things.

I formed the thick patties for Danny to grill out in the back. I smelled the charcoal coming up to heat via an electric starter. No way Vampires can eat charcoal-grilled meat started with fire starter fluid. Petroleum flavors deeply suck to Vampires.

The whole grain rice is smelling good. A quickie Broccoli cheese and rice casserole would add protein and veggies. Fresh baby carrots, because Diana loves those. Put a cooked carrot in front of her, expect a frowny face.

Same as me.

Helen sliced fresh tomatoes. With the Tommy crisis going on, it turned into a hamburger and veggies night, except for little Rachel, who gets whichever solid food she wants in addition to her breast milk. No telling what she'll be in the mood for.

"So. Adrian. Professional opinion. What do you and Morgan think? Has Tommy fled?" Helen asked as she sliced.

I stopped to answer after a moments delay to think that through. Morgan and I did not share conclusions however I know exactly what Morgan thinks about this, because I do too.

"We think he ran for his life." I answered.

"You explained to him that breaking Parole is the same thing as a death sentence. I did too. Numerous times. How is running going to be running FOR his life? It's running from it." Helen asked in a way that led me to believe it was more of a general pondering than a specific question directed at me.

I answered anyway, by asking a question of my own to frame my answer "He ever meet Cert? Anne? Carol? Denise? Any Crew?"

"No. Only the subcommittee and of course the Vampire that brought him to us from the hospital."

"I think he has no idea that the Crew is real, and that he heard about all that with the attitude that I am trying to scare him. That I was creating Vampire boogy... Ladies. Neither Morgan or I could get a read on him other than what she talked about. That he is a pathological liar. It may be that he is merely pathological. No fear about Crew because he just doesn't care. Also, I think whatever his issue is, it is a pre-existing condition, not something that was brought about by turning. Turning enabled him: gave him more power."

"How sure are you of that?" Helen asked.

Morgan came into the kitchen. "Adrian is one hundred percent certain. Nearly, anyway." She handed me some papers she had recently printed out judging by their smell, and I scanned them.

"What she said." I handed the papers to Helen to look over.

"So. Lovely. Tommy was killing in Vancouver." I said to Morgan.

"The police only have the vaguest of descriptions, but yes. A man was attempting to chop off heads. Gay men were exclusively the victims. The assailant never quite could get the heads off, but he used knives and a sword, and he always attacked from behind. Same as here in Austin, but now he can use his bare hands. Tommy is barely turned, so he is not at full strength yet. At the same time, as we all know, changes occur more quickly at first. Already he has densified and morphed. His strength is limited primarily by the fact that he has not had time to absorb significant metal content, especially given how little he appears to eat. His muscles could overpower human-like bones. Look at the killings. What do you see as a pattern?" Morgan asked.