The Millionaire's Decision

The silence was driving me crazy. Mainly because I had a strong feeling I knew what Austin was about to say. I've only ever seen him act this way once and when he did, things didn't turn out well for me. That's when he told me he had to marry Silvia.

Howard had left a long time ago, saying that he had to go pick Charles up from the babysitter. Secretly though, I knew he saw the same thing I was seeing.

He finally turned away from baby Sienna and towards me. As he opened his mouth to speak, I felt my breathing hitch, "I need a break," he said the words so quietly, I almost missed them completely. I was going to ask for a repeat but settled with assuming that I heard him correctly.

Only two words came to mind after hearing him say that. "From what?" I asked back almost as quietly.

"Everything."

"From me?"

"Everything, Violet."

I bit back the tears threatening to pour down my face. I spun on my heel and exited the over priced luxury hospital room that only a millionaire could afford.

I didn't know a whole lot about my future right now, but I did know that I was not going to continue working for Austin. I wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of stress and level of awkwardness. I would have to find a new job. I wouldn't be able to keep my apartment for very long if I didn't.

This is exactly why I have friends...and family.

+
+
+

I stood on the porch of my grandma's house, a single suitcase in hand, waiting for her to open the door. I wasn't ready to tell Reyna or Howard about anything yet and I just wasn't going to throw myself back at my dad and Lacey. That would be suicide.

That only gave me one other option though and that was my grandma. My mom's mother. She was the closest family member to me. After my mom died, I lived with her for a couple of months and she was really able to help me get through it. I bet she would be able to do the same thing for me this time around.

"Violet?" She asked while swinging the door open. The aroma of her signature oatmeal cookies flooding my nose. This is what felt like home to me. "Are you alright? Come inside," she grabbed my elbow and helped guide me into the house. We both moved over to the couch and sat down.

"Can I stay here for awhile?" I totally forgot that I had been crying until I tried to speak. My voice was shaky and weak, the dry heaves even started to kick in and that was when I started to feel extremely pathetic.

"Of course you can! You're always welcome here, sweet girl," she leaned in to give me a hug, "I'm afraid you're going to have to tell me what's wrong though."

I took in a deep breath and exhaled before starting to tell her the story.

And I told her everything she was going to need to know to help, so that when the anger started to kick in, I was going to be able to vent and she would actually get what I was talking about.

After telling her the whole story, I took in her facial expression, trying as hard as I could to analyze it. I think she was shocked.

"You still pursued a relationship with him even after he was married and was expecting a baby with his wife?" She seemed shocked and slightly disappointed.

"Well, I'm sorry. I wasn't exactly the one that chased after him though. He came after me! None of this was my fault."

"You should have stopped it, Violet. Didn't you know that was wrong?"

"Well yes, but don't you think it was wrong for his parents to kick me out of the picture and force him to marry some other girl? Why couldn't he have married me?" I thought I made a good counterargument but the look on my grandma's face told me she thought I was the one in the wrong.

"Well, whatever happened Vi, I'm here for you. You are going to have to look for another job though," she nudged me with her shoulder playfully. "I was actually going to go out with Howard's Nan and play some bingo. Do you want to come?"

I shook my head, "I think I'll just stay here. You go ahead."

"Alright, honey. I just put some of my oatmeal cookies in the freezer and there are some hot pockets there too if you get hungry. I should be back by eight."

I nodded, "Have fun."

"Austin Cruise steps out of hiding for the first time in over week."

I don't know why I do this to myself. I could've settled for watching 30 Days of Night on SyFy, but no. I just had to watch E!. God, I frustrated myself sometimes.

It was an early Sunday morning, so I honestly had nothing better to do.

I saw my grandma come gliding down the creaky, wooden stairs, dressed in her floral blouse and tan dress pants. "Why aren't you up yet, Violet?"

I gave her a curious look before realizing what she was getting at. It was SUNDAY. Church Sunday.

Ugh.

That's her one rule. If you live under this roof, you go to church. I guess it wasn't a big deal. It was just that some people I was currently trying to avoid, attended the same church on a regular basis.

I sat up on the sofa and rubbed the haziness away from my eyes. I suppose getting out of the house would be a good thing. "I'm sorry. I'll be ready in ten minutes."

"Run, Vivi. I'm leaving without you in ten minutes."

I couldn't help but stare at the million dollar family sitting across the aisle from me. I mean, look at them with their fancy Gucci suits and Chanel dresses. This is church! God doesn't care if you're wearing Gucci or freaking Kmart clothes. I'm starting to think it would kill the Cruise family to be slightly normal. I noticed there was an absence in two family members. Silvia and Sienna.

I was pulled away from my thinking by an elbow straight to my ribcage. I shot my head to my side to see grandma giving me a look. "Pay attention!" She snapped quietly.

I rolled my eyes but looked back down at the hymnal anyways. I still wasn't going to sing, but at least I was looking at the words at all.

This whole getup came to an end way later than I had originally thought. The ushers were dismissing the congregation and as the Cruise family walked by, I quickly averted my gaze to the floor. It was a little too late though, 'cause I had already made eye contact with...him.

That brought a stinging hatred back to the forefront of my mind. I never want to see, hear or speak to him again.

I won't.

And nothing will make me.

+
+
+

Lots of drama about to come Violet's way.

Song: All You Had to Do was Stay by Taylor Swift (seemed like the perfect song for the story. What do you think?)

How are you all enjoying the story so far? Leave me a comment please.