The Millionaire's Daughter & Insomnia

"I didn't know we had a house here," Chloe said while eavesdropping in on Austin and Genevieve's (his mom) conversation. She hated when she discovered something she didn't know before. I had no interest in what they were saying so I just focused on this new dog.

The kid was crazy if she didn't expect her dad to own a house in the land of their own people. The Cruise family came from France. And besides, in what part of the world didn't he own a house?

There was one in Paris, Mumbai, Sydney, New York, Athens, London, Florence, and the main one in Los Angeles. Austin didn't like hotels and he had the money to splurge on million dollar homes, so why wouldn't he?

"Daddy," Sienna carefully got off the Limo floor and slipped herself into the small space between Austin and Chloe. "When are we going to eat?"

"It's eight in the morning," he gave her a crazy look, "I don't know about you, but I don't eat dinner that early. And look at Chloe," he motioned to the little girl that had nearly fallen asleep across his lap.

"Why can't we have breakfast?"

"Reservations," I wasn't aware of how thick her french accent was until now. Honestly, I never really paid much attention. "We have dinner reservations. Not breakfast," Genevieve clarified.

"So what are we going to do until then?"

"Sleep," Chloe mumbled. "Can we go home and sleep, daddy?" She just barely raised her head to look at him.

"I'm not tired!" Sienna whined.

She totally was. She was just too excited to admit it. She wanted to go out and explore, and see more of Paris.

"How long have you been up?" Austin asked while running a hand through Sienna's fine blonde hair.

She looked to me for help. Hell, she's been up for so long she doesn't even know how long it's been! "Almost...I don't know...twenty-six hours?" I tried to do the math in my head but probably failed miserably.

Genevieve gasped, "Austin, sweetheart, why exactly did you choose Violet to be the girls' nanny? If she was doing her job properly, Sienna would have had a lot more sleep. If you wouldn't have divorced Silvia, maybe their sleep patterns would have been a little better. Just look at Chloe! She's always sleeping."

Chloe shot up, "We like Violet!"

"That's not Violet's fault," Austin defended, "Chloe just doesn't sleep well so that's why she's always tired."

"So are you saying she has insomnia?" Genevieve asked as if Chloe having such a thing would be shameful to the family.

"It's none of your business really," Austin finally started to get angry. I was already there and beyond. I have been made at this woman for the past six years. "The things happening in Chloe's life are of no concern to you. She isn't your daughter."

"She is my granddaughter though and I want her to be cared for properly."

"She's just fine, so you should really stop worrying."

+
+
+

"Violet," I sat up a little after seeing the small gleam of light from the hallway creep into my temporary bedroom. "I can't sleep." It was Chloe. "Can I stay in here with you?"

She may not have been able to sleep well, but I sure was. In fact, it was the thing I looked forward to most during the day. I felt bad for her though. Nothing we've tried so far has worked for her. We even give her twice as much of the sleeping medication than we're supposed to.

"Of course you can. Come on," I pushed the excess pillows off the bed and patted the empty spot next to me. She closed the door behind her, causing the room to go completely black again and soon I felt her jump onto the bed next to me.

"What's up? Why can't you fall asleep?" I turned on the lamp and then took in the sight of the big black circles under her eyes and the paleness of her face. These girls weren't pale, they have been kissed by the California sun.

"I don't know. I try to, but it never works. I watch movies, I read Curious George, daddy even counted sheep with me but nothing helps, Violet." I saw the frustration in her small blue eyes. I felt bad that there was close to nothing we could do for her anymore.

"Maybe it's time you let your daddy take you to a sleep therapist," I suggested. We've been over this a thousand times before and it was always a no from Chloe. She hated doctors more than anything.

She nodded, "I think you're right. Can you talk to him about it?"

I tried as hard as possible not to grumble or curse under my breath. Things weren't exactly great between Austin and I. Luckily it wasn't awkward enough where I had to quit working as the 'nanny' and move out, but I still tried to avoid him as much as possible. Currently he was just my boss and I preferred if it stayed that way.

This was about the wellbeing of Chloe though so I would suck it up and take one for the team. "Yeah, I can talk to him."

"Ok, he's in the playroom with, SiSi."

What?

She wanted me to go now?

Why isn't Sienna trying to sleep too?

"You want me to talk to him now?"

"I want to go to sleep."

Oh man.

"Um...ok. You just stay right here. You can watch tv if you want."

"It's all in French."

Ah. Right.

I slid off the bed and headed out of the room and into the grand hallway. The walls were lined with paintings framed in gold, with mini statues on end tables scattered here and there. This house was huge, even bigger than the one we lived in in Los Angeles. I was amazed at the speedy time it took me to find this said playroom. Sienna and Austin were both sitting in the middle of the floor. Sienna was coloring in the nails on Austin's hand with a black sharpie while he sat there and checked messages on his phone.

He looked up and saw me than looked back down immediately. I moved over to where they were sitting and sat down a few inches away from them, "Chloe wanted me to talk to you," I told him while looking at what Sienna was doing.

"About what?"

"She wants to see a sleep therapist."

He looked up at me, shock written all over his face, "You're kidding."

"I'm not. She wants it done quick," I snapped my fingers to add to the effect. "So make it snappy, Mr. Millionaire."

"Billionaire," Sienna sang.

"Millionaire," Austin corrected.

"Oh."

+
+
+

Let me know what you thought of the chapter by leaving a comment and vote too please! I love both!