Six

The sun grazes my bronze skin warmly, doing away the slight cold that's been enveloping me for a while. Walking around, I end up near the sturdy, old-looking barn.

Everything's so peaceful at the moment and much to my surprise, I'm welcomed by two beautiful horses grazing inside the railing fence.

How I love horses.

Smiling, I grab my old vintage canon and click a few pictures. The horses are both brown, except one has a white patch on the back and neck. I saunter along the fence, nearing them, slowly as though afraid to startle them.

Now this is what I call having fun.

"Hi, there." I lean over the fence, drinking in an unfamiliar scent that puts me at ease nevertheless.

An infantile giggle escapes my mouth as he responds with a neigh. Wait, is it a he or she? It's a bit funny to think of.

"Well, let's pretend you're a boy." I pat his smooth hair with delight.

"Excuse me." A boy's voice snaps me. I quickly whirl my head around. "Who are you?" he inquires as he approaches, holding an empty bucket.

"Uh—" I suddenly lose my voice.

"Oh, are you one of the guests at the big house?" he asks, his voice dry.

"Yeah." I smile with relief. "My name is Kira, a friend of . . . Mr. Darcy? Yeah, something like that." I'm not even sure of how I'm related to our hosts.

The boy bursts out laughing in a seemingly amused manner. I blink cluelessly. "You're dumb, aren't you?" he asks, and momentarily I wonder whether he is being serious or not.

"Why? Do I look dumb?" I ask, my composure disturbed.

"You're not even sure if he's your friend, is he your friend?" he mocks, and I huff exasperatedly. Do I retaliate? I glower at him. "Sir Liam doesn't have lady friends, so are you his girlfriend?" he adds, somewhat curious, judging from the ingenious look of his amber eyes.

"No," I practically snap, and it's he who gapes right now.

Okay, he's just a kid.

"Are you lost, then?"

"Look, kiddo," I start, ignoring his question. "First, work out on your manners—I'm older enough to be your sister. And second, I'm not dumb."

"Okay." He shrugs, but doesn't look affected.

God, kids nowadays need an ass whoop.

"Good. Do you live here?" I ask as my attempt to be on top of the situation fails miserably.

"Over there." He points at the little, well-designed farmhouse from the other side. "But I work here. I'm Julian, by the way." He jumps over the fence.

"I'm Kira," I return.

"You said it already." He keeps gazing around the area as if e's making sure of something.

Jeez! I just let it pass.

"What are you looking for?" Julian asks me, and the answer is . . . I don't know what exactly I want.

I'm always a seeker of the unknown.

"Not sure," I reply while following Julian's moving body. He is young, but quite stout, as though he's been training horses his whole few years of life. He's wearing grey worn-out jeans and a green polo shirt.

"You don't know what you want?" He seems regaled by the allegation, running a hand through his unkempt brunette hair.

Tell me about it! I sigh in a resigned manner. "Well, maybe I do. Can you tell me a nice place to visit around here?" I utter softly.