Sixty-four

As we leave Disneyland I'm happy I made a few terrific memories with my boyfriend. A wonderful date it was. Slowly, I drive off to Malibu beach, according to the address Liam's given me. It's such an A-list kind of place to live, and I can't picture myself driving in and out of it, everyday, as my home.

I end up laughing at the thought, and Liam gives me a quizzical look.

"What?" I giggle.

"That's my question." He sounds stunned and a bit confused. "What's funny?"

"Nothing, I'm just excited," I reply matter-of-factly, happiness oozing through the tone of my voice.

"That's good." Liam smiles fondly, his face as calm as the lake in the summer.

We go in a soothing silence, listening to 'Let her go' by Passenger playing in the car stereo. And I certainly can't believe that we're going house hunting at last. Okay, calm done, Kira Jones. Hands on the steering, my eyes drink the sight of calmness as we cruise through the posh neighborhood.

"I think this is the address," I urge, pulling over in front of a huge mansion that gives me nothing but Hollywood celebrity vibes.

"I think so," Liam replies. Slowly we scramble out of the car, as he makes a call right to the realtor. "Yes, we're here," he utters a moment later, and I'm busy scanning the surroundings.

Soft breeze blows, with the scent of the ocean that's not miles away from here. The tranquility is well felt as nature engulfs my spirit, so many trees and beautiful houses adorning the area.

At last the man emerges from the house, tall, lean, wearing glasses. "Mr. Darcy. I'm Derek Gibson, the realtor. Thanks for coming." He smiles warmly.

"Hello, Mr. Gibson," Liam replies in his classic manners, shaking hands with Derek. "I hope we didn't take too much of your time."

"Not really. Pleasure," says Derek.

"This is Kira. My girlfriend," Liam announces and I shake hands with Derek who smiles cordially, his signature courtesy, I fathom. "So, this is the house?" He glances up, taking in the details.

A giant two-story house stands before us. It's painted in creamy yellow, slightly classic in style.

"Yes, it's one of the three," Derek prompts. "Come, this way."

He leads us in, and I'm getting reluctant at each step we make. It's not my type, honestly. Inside is even so. A lavish foyer with a red carpet staircase, and the extravagant vintage chandelier dangling from the high ceiling like a grand ballroom.

"How many bedrooms?" Liam asks as I peek inside its kitchen.

Large and magnificent, with wood and granite doing wonders, the kitchen is awesome..

"Six, including the master," Derek answers, followed by other details that I don't pay much attention to as my heart refuses to warm up to this house.

We prowl around for a while, just checking around and dropping comments, until Derek decides to give us some space so we take a proper look. I'm grateful, that way I can criticize without a filter.

"You don't like it, do you?" Liam asks as we tour the master bedroom.

"I wonder if I'm an open book or something, but you've nailed it," I answer with a smile. "It's unnecessarily big and superficial. I'd prefer something simple and cozy."

"I see," says Liam, his gaze around the room.

"Nice bed, though," I comment, throwing myself into the plush king size, crushing against a soft and plump mattress.