Thirty-seven

"What happened?" Malik eyes my suitcase as I pull it forcefully. "Where are you going, Professor?"

I halt and sigh heavily, my face stained with tears. "She knows everything now. It's over, Malik."

Slowly Malik strides over and pulls me into his arms. Heavy sobs take the best of me like a child, face buried on his chest. I let my tears flow, free without holding back.

"Oh, Professor. I don't know what to say," Malik breathes while rubbing my back soothingly.

I pull out of his arms and sniff. "It's okay. You don't need to say anything, because I deserve what's happening."

Why not? I'm the villain of my own story after all.

"I don't think I agree with you," Malik tells me softly, his smile forced and rueful. I just shrug, not knowing what to say. "You're still leaving?" His eyes darken.

"Sam and I can't be at the same place so I better leave right now," I say urgently before picking the handle of my suitcase.

"Come on, Professor," Malik mutters piteously. "Maybe we can all sit down and talk about this?" he suggests.

I stifle a laugh. "You think sitting down and talking will fix this? This is not business, Malik, and I know Sam well enough to realize that she would never give me even a second of her time."

"Okay, let me take you to a hotel." Malik snatches the suitcase handle from my hold.

"No, Malik, I'll just—" I try to argue but the solid look he gives me pushes my words back. "Fine, but only until town. I want to be alone tonight and I hope you can understand me."

"Crystal clear, Professor. Besides, you won't get a taxi until the main road and it's pretty far from here. I just want to make sure you're safe."

I don't argue.

Malik drives in silence, making me wonder what's going on in his mind. I watch South beach sliding by as we move, and a couple of sighs escape my lungs every now and then.

But amid all this, a part of me is very relieved. Keeping this secret has been nothing but a torture so it's all for the best. I just want to go back home and maybe think of my next life ahead.

"When are you going back to Los Angeles?" Malik cuts through the silence, gazing at me briefly.

"Even tonight if I can."

"Are you going to tell Liam?"

"I don't know."

He sighs heavily. "I don't think I understand you, Professor, but I respect your decision. But... Does this mean you're ending what you have with Liam now?"

I don't think that's what I'm set for, but I want both of our choices to be clear this time around, without any restraints, with sound mind.

"Maybe the time to see what we really have has finally come," I mutter under my breath and close my eyes.

Malik drops me off at the city center, buzzed with people and restaurants. I inhale the chilled air and my curls stir slightly from the light breeze.

Another hard part is saying goodbye to Malik. I hate goodbyes. He has been very good to me, and I'll forever remember him as a wonderful friend who embraced my presence in a very special way. I watch him take off my suitcase, his face devoid of joy.

I hope we can meet again.

"Thank you," I tell him as he rises up while slamming the car trunk.

We haul a taxi which coasts a few moments later.