Sixty-three

We wish Eleanor a nice trip after a long moment of chatting while waiting for her departure time. At last the second announcement of her flight is heard, and it feels like our moment has been extremely short-lived. I really love having her around as she's the best mother figure I've ever met.

For the umpteenth time she insists that we should stop thinking of the accident and focus on happy things. Well, she's right. There's no point spending the whole day reminiscing about an aching memory. What's done is done, and the future can be bright if we let it. Even if it's hard, I'm sure we can work it out.

"Call me when you arrive at home," Liam tells her.

"I will." She smiles, giving him a soft pat on the cheek. "Take care, honey." She throws a mirthful glance my way, and I just nod in similar fashion.

She finally walks away.

"I'll miss her." I sigh exhaustedly, but my smile returns right away when my boyfriend gives me a side hug.

"Tired?" he murmurs, eyes on me.

"A little," I reply, wrapping my arm around his tight waist. "Shall we go now?" I gaze up at him.

He grins boyishly. "Unless you want to sleep here, then yes. You need a rest, let's go."

Too tired from the long, emotional day, I decide to spend the night at the hotel. After a simple dinner right inside our room, we take a quick shower and stay on the couch, hibernating. My head is resting against Liam's chest, his arms wrapped around my belly, both of us facing the chirping TV.

There's a movie on the screen, but I don't think I'm paying attention to it as my mind's strangely divided between the past and the present. None of us say it, but it's evident that the topic is still fresh in our heads, like something malignant. I can't seem to just forget it, and I know that's exactly the case for Liam.

"I'd like to remember everything," he utters gently, playing with my curls in a soothing manner, his fingers caressing my scalps. I draw back a bit to look him in the eyes. "It's more tormenting not knowing the whole thing, Kira."

"I know," I answer with a grave sigh, "but you don't need to push yourself, Liam. In due time you'll remember everything, even though I wish you'd stay oblivious forever."

"Is it that scary?"

"It's horrible. That's the only word I could use," I reply. "And I'm sure you can tell from the little piece you can remember. If it were possible to erase a memory, then I'd have erased mine." I'd love to be free of the past but it's never possible.

But in the end, we are what we remember in our lifetime. Memories are what make us the people we deem to be.

"I'm sorry," he whispers, his voice calm and comforting.

"Don't be, just hold me." I press myself too close to him, in need to be spoiled and pampered by him.

"Or let's just go to bed?" he suggests.

"Right now?"

"Yes."

"Why? Do you want to read me a story?"

"Huh?" His body shakes as he laughs soundlessly. "Okay, I'll read you a story. Now let's turn this thing off and go to bed." He gets the remote from the coffee table as I force my body to get up.

Reading a story turns into making love. I fall asleep in his arms, hearing the sound of his breath that goes in synch with his beating heart, feeling the warmth of his body that makes it all okay.

***

The next day becomes a beautiful rainbow after a stormy night. We spend the morning at my place.. Liam is busy with his laptop and the never-ending calls regarding his work matters, and I'm in the kitchen, singing and swaying my hips at the tune of 'I ain't your mama.'