Sixty-seven

I'm back at my apartment, floating in cloud nine despite being alone at last. I still can't believe how my life has changed overnight. From an absolutely single lady to an engaged woman out of the blue? It's a very exciting feeling, thrilling even, but a bit unnerving. No, it's so very unnerving.

The door shuts and I take a very deep breath, staring at my tiny living room. I'm suddenly feeling like a stranger in my own house, its silence almost defeating. I saunter towards the window and shuffle the curtains apart. The summer sunlight pours dramatically into the living room.

My lips stretch into an indulgent smile as I throw my gaze around the place I've been calling my home for two years and a half. And the sight of the beach house in Malibu flashes unbidden in my head. I'll soon have a new place, and maybe a family.

Family—something I always yearned for.

"Easy, Kira," I breathe softly, kicking my shoes off.

A while later, Sam calls me again and announces that she's almost here. From the sound of her voice, I can tell she has something succulent to tell. I wonder what it is, and am a bit anxious about what she'll say about my news to her.

She's over Liam, isn't she?

As I'm busy gobbling some chocolate chips, I hear a knock at the door. Samantha Ford is here. I go for it with a smile, and as expected, my dear friend is standing before my eyes. She's glowing, wearing a latex miniskirt and white crop top with some imprint, a black choker around her tall neck. She looks happy.

"I have something to tell you!" we say in perfect unison, and break into a ridiculous laughter afterwards.

"Okay, you first," I tell her impishly, my heart beating joyfully.

"By all means, ma'am." She strolls in, leaving me smiling incredulously as I shut the door.

"So, what's the mystery? It shows all over your face," I urge.

"Relax, Kiki. Sit down first," Sam tells me with a huge grin, and I comply with raised eyebrows.

"Okay." I sit down next to her, face to face. "I'm all ears," I mutter, and she takes a sound sigh, her fair skin shining from . . . excitement? I don't know, but she's almost blushing.

"Okay, listen," she starts with energy, and I sit straight. "I'm going out with Jonathan."

"Wow! Okay, I kinda saw it coming," I reply, a bit surprised.

Sam smiles from ear to ear, her cheeks reddened. "He asked me to give him another chance yesterday. He said he's always loved me and he's not going to allow losing me for another time." Her voice is full of ecstasy, and so are her eyes.

"Wow!" I exclaim loudly, surprised even more. "I always knew that, and I told you so."

God, this is going too well. I'm awed.

"I know, Mother. And you're always right," Sam remarks with rolled eyes.

"Of course." I laugh lightly, and she bites her bottom lip in what I could call overjoy. "How did that happen? I mean, when?" I ask urgently, dying to hear the juicy details.

"Perhaps . . . a week ago? Oh, I don't know. Maybe during this Jeremy's fiasco that forced us to meet again," she says, sounding happy but unsure, and it doesn't really matter.

She's happy. It's all that matters.

"Oh! Well, at least something good happened out of it, right?" I utter, my heart cringing at the mention of that imbecile and the fact that Sam took his side during the time. "So, you're finally opening up to Jonathan? I clearly remember how you locked the windows for him, claiming he's not your type and all. So then—"