Sixty-six

His wife? Did I hear this correctly?

Eyes licked seriously with mine, Liam slowly slips his hand inside one of his jeans pocket. I swallow convulsively, anticipating for the unknown. My breath hitches at each second ticking, driving my heart onto a rollercoaster of emotions until his hand comes out.

My world halts when he finally reveals a blood red box—a tiny jewelry case.

"I want to spend the rest of my days with you, Ms. Jones," he utters lovingly, driving me more insane. "You're the woman I want to live and grow old with, and I absolutely have no doubt about this, because you complete me in every possible way.

He swiftly, yet calmly, opens the box and a shiny gem twinkle into view.

"Liam," I breathe at last, my palm covering my mouth in stun.

As if my brain is playing tricks on me, I watch Liam sinking down on one knee, ignoring the fact that we're in the bathroom. He humbles himself right next to the bathtub, staring at me.

"Will you accept this ring and become my one and only wife, Kira Jones?" he asks softly, his eyes completely fixed on mine.

Oh my God!

I've heard these words before. I've watched countless scenes in the movies, and I've read them too many times in books, but now that I'm hearing them straight from the man I love, my Liam, I really don't think I understand them correctly.

"What—" I stammer. "I mean, what did you just say?"

"Will you marry me, Ms. Jones?" Liam repeats, and I clearly see the love, faith, and sincerity in his blue eyes.

He's a bit nervous—his body tense—yet his confidence prevails through his firm gaze.

I lower my gaze and meet a terrific ring shining bright like the diamond it is. Tears well up in my eyes and like a fool I find myself nodding while laughing and crying at the same time.

"Yes," I utter softly but powerfully. "Yes, Mr. Darcy, I will marry you."

I feel my hand lifted up, Liam holding it delicately, like a fragile little thing. Gently, a pretty cushion-cut diamond ring slid onto my finger. My heart trots as I look at it; its band embellished with tiny gems, so shiny and beautiful, and I'm engaged to the man of my dreams.

My Liam.

Can somebody pinch me? I'm staring at my ring, then at Liam, and I still can't even trust the pace of my own heartbeat. God, he's proposed to me! I feel like jumping but my body is strangely heavy. I want to scream, but my vocal is somewhat restrained.

"Thank you," Liam utters dreamily, pulling my naked body into his embrace as he shores on.

No, thank you. Tears fall down my cheeks and tighter I hug him back, crying on his chest.

It takes minutes for me to recover from this sudden change in my life, for I'm still dazzled with disbelief. It's utterly impossible to express how happy, elated, exhilarated, and all other felicity one could actually feel when something good happens.

And I'm nervous too—so very nervous.

I feel Liam's heart beating promisingly against my back, nestling my body with his engulfing embrace. He's decided to join me in the bathtub, and we have been like this—silent and static—for a while now. Time seems to be on a standstill, and I wouldn't mind living forever in this moment.

"Won't you ever talk to me again, my love?" Liam asks gently, teasing my bewildered disposition with gentle kisses on my neck.

"I will." I sniff, wiping the last, happy tear from my lashes. "I was just taking my time confirming whether this is real or my imagination. And it is real." I smile indulgently, a light sigh escaping my lips as I look at my ring for the umpteenth time.