Fifty-two

"You're finally back," Liam says in a disconcerting voice as I walk in. "Is it true?"

"What is?" Not knowing how to answer right away, I feign ignorance of the subject.

Wrong move.

I'm fully aware, but my intelligence seems limited at the moment. I'm sure he's talking about my visit to the precinct. He must've learned everything by now. Slowly, I pace towards the couch, avoiding eye contact with him, and drop my handbag on the table.

"I told you I'd tell you everything when I come back" — I slowly turn around to grant him my full attention — "and here I am, Liam." I stand up straight, staring at him. "Yes, I did go to the police station, and I met him."

"Did you drop the charges against him?" His voice is shockingly harsh, his eyes burning with rage.

"I... No, Liam, I didn't!" A deep frown appears on my face; I pace around him in search of my composure. "I only gave my full statement to Sergeant Connor and—" I pause, stung by the reality I've been trying to evade.

Yes, I technically dropped the charges.

Seeing my face and hesitation, Liam discerns the situation and slowly releases a breath. Disappointment washes over his features. It breaks my heart because he's the only one who knows my story with Jeremy; it won't be easy for him to understand.

I round myself to face him in the eyes. " Liam, listen—"

"I can't believe this," he mutters in a gentle yet pissed-off voice. He looks betrayed and hurt. "So you sneaked out while I was still asleep, left me a senseless note, and went all the way to the station—"

"Let me explain, Liam," I interrupt him urgently. "I have a reason to do what I did, trust me." I look at him imploringly, hoping to make him understand me somehow.

"What is it, Kira? What's so important for you to let that imbecile out of where he deserves to be?" he yells.

I close my eyes to let the echoes of his turbulent voice dissipate.

"Liam, I know you're angry, but I'll explain everything if you give me a chance. You don't need to raise your voice." I try to reason with him as calmly as possible, for I know it's my fault and I don't have the right to be angry.

"Then how do you expect me to react, Kira!" he thunders. A shrill of fear runs through me at the sight of his darkened eyes. "The man who took you by force, traumatized you, and even tried to hurt you again! If you saw yourself that night, you'd understand how I feel right now. He deserves worse than being in a jail that you save him from, so don't tell me to calm down!"

"Liam, can you just hear me out before you say anything more?" I raise my voice just to make him see my desperation for his attention.

He sighs heavily. Slowly he reaches the sofa and sits down. Eyes away from me, he rests his elbows on his knees, and his jaw tightens in an unusual fashion that makes me wary to even talk to him.

But we must talk for this to end.

I walk closer and crouch in front of him. He stays still without looking at me, his breathing erratic. As adamant as I can be, I force my way into his gaze, urging him to look back at me even with anger and terrifying menace. He finally does, and it kills me to see the darkness replacing the flames of passion he once carried in his eyes."

"Liam, I didn't want to set him free, I swear," I start, my voice soft and guarded.

"But you did," Liam coolly remarks, staring me directly in the eyes. I inhale sharply. "Sergeant Connor said that your new statement suggested he didn't want to harm you! And for that reason, he will be released very soon and no justice will be served for what he did to you then...and even now!"