Forty-five

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Liam asks in a soft whisper as I wake from my blackout.

"Um . . . okay." My squinted eyes wander around, a hazy sensation shooting through my head.

"See? I told you she'd come around," another voice chirps in, making my face harden in a heartbeat. "Hi, I'm Sergeant Jack Connor from LAPD," a police man introduces himself with his badge, and I sit comfortably by Liam's side.

I guess I'm safe now. Relief washes over me.

"Hi." I raise my head to meet his full profile.

He's black, tall and lean, but rather fit, with military-short hair.

"Can you give your statement right now?" Liam asks me tenderly. "If not we can wait until tomorrow."

I glance at Sergeant Connor and his gaze questions the same.

"I can do it," I whisper and sit straight.

Liam gives me a slight nod.

"Very well, ma'am." The detective sighs while taking a seat at the recliner chair adjacent to the table. "We have apprehended the guy who broke in. Do you know him by any chance?" He looks at me.

"Yes, I know him." I clear my throat that feels dry.

"How are you two related? Have you had any kind of relationship?" he continues, together with a series of other questions, while noting down the details.

I answer his queries as best as I can. And as I think of my altercation with Jeremy, I feel nothing but resentment. I want him to be pushed severely, because that's what he truly deserves.

"Okay. That will be all for now," says Sergeant Connor and I sigh softly with relief. "Mr. Darcy, I'll keep you posted," he tells Liam, and the two get up their feet.

I curl myself on the couch as the two of them head to the door.

"Thank you, detective," Liam says over a handshake. "I'll walk you out," he adds.

"Have a good evening, ma'am," the detective tells me. "And I'm very sorry for the incident."

"Thank you," I reply.

When Liam returns he seizes me tightly to his side. My body melts in his arms, and my eyes shut at the feel of his warm embrace, inhaling his reassuring scent.

"I don't know what I would've done if anything bad happened to you," he softly says. I lift my gaze at him. His blue eyes are engulfed with nothing but anger and worries. "That bastard."

"I'm sorry that I had you worried," I tell him in a low voice, my head on his comforting chest—my little home.

"It's okay, my love," he replies, his voice laced with gentleness. "Do you want something warm to drink? Tea or coffee, maybe?"

"Coffee." I smile at him as he gets up.

"Okay." He kisses my dry lips and walks towards the kitchen. I can't imagine how he felt when he received my call earlier.

I lay down to my side and fold my legs together, resting my head on the pillow. The entire scene with Jeremy flashes back in my head and I wonder why he's so obsessed with me. It's hard to believe that he tried to apologize, only to end up hurting me again.

Is it really my fault? I throw my eyes at Liam and my smile resurfaces.

Could he be that knight? I find myself sitting up and staring at him. He is busy with the boiler; I can only see his back moving slightly. I swallow at the sight and find myself smiling wider. I do have a reason to live and be happy, and he is a huge part of my happiness now.