Sixty

"The story," I say. "I want to hear it from the beginning. What happened? How and when did you lose your phone?"

Liam grins. "Interrogation time?" 

"Yes, Mr. Suspect."

"No longer Intense? I fancy that one much better.

"Shut up. You don't get to choose." I smother a laugh.

"Okay." Liam sits straight. We are back on the bed. "I don't know how exactly I lost it, but it was in the hospital, I believe. I only learned about the loss when I returned to the hotel and my head was already in a mess. And well, the next day in New York was quite hectic. I had no time to do anything but work. I used the office line most of the time but I had someone track my phone."

"And you chose to completely ignore me, right?" I mumble under my breath. Liam sighs sadly, his eyes calm and remorseful. "I mean, you didn't even care how I felt or anything like that? Liam, I was a wreck thinking you've abandoned me. I went crazy when I heard you've left the hotel. And you're only here because of Sam's call?" It really breaks my heart.

"That's not true," he strongly argues. "Being here right now has nothing to do with Samantha's call, at all. In fact, I was supposed to be here the night before but I couldn't because I had to wait for my mother to finish her own business."

"Mrs. Eleanor? You were together?"

"Yes. As we're speaking she's in Los Angeles as well. We arrived together, and I'm sure she's dying to see you right now." He smiles playfully while stroking my cheek.

"Oh?" I blush right away. I miss her.

"Kira." Liam takes my hands into his. "If I had any intentions of leaving you, why would I be back here? What for? Because I honestly don't have that free time to fly back and forth between the States of America," he tells me, and it's exactly what I thought last night.

"Fair point. And . . . Well, fine. I'll let it pass. Now tell me, how is your mother? And where is she staying?" I ask with a giddy grin.

"Same hotel," he answers. "And speaking of which, I think we should get up because she is leaving this evening."

"Already?" Disappointment washes over me.

Liam's lips stretch into a gladden smile. "She only wanted to see my girlfriend, it appears."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, Ms. Jones. Come." He sighs tiredly but he looks very well-rested for me to worry about him. "Well, I was surprised to see Samantha's call. I'm glad you two have fixed your differences—correct me if I misinterpreted things."

"Yes. Thank God." I smile sheepishly at him from the corner of my bed where I can watch him to my heart's content. "And . . . I wanted to clear things about Jeremy."

His face distorts into a hint of displeasure, and it forces me to hurl toward him.

"Liam, I only did what I thought was right. I had no intention of setting him free as you thought. I've come to terms with my past and all the trauma, and I've never felt as peaceful as I am today," I say calmly, looking at him deeply in the eyes. "The last thing I need is having a misunderstanding with my boyfriend over someone undeserving. He's a bad memory but you're my beautiful reality. Why should I get stuck to him now? I just—"

"Shhh." Liam places his index on my lips, hushing me. I blink at him with a rattled smile. "I understand. I think I hated the fact that you left on your own, instead of letting me be by your side when you went to see him. Also, he could've gotten medical attention even if you didn't . . ."