Twenty-two

Gloomily, Eleanor escorts us outside. She hugs each one of us in turn, insisting that we have much fun in Miami. God knows the emptiness I'm starting to feel from this point onwards.

"Take care, honey," she murmurs softly in my ear when it's my turn to say goodbye.

"I will. Thanks for everything." I smile tightly, and it kills me inside that she'll only remain a beautiful memory in my heart.

We all slide inside the van, and Peter hits the engine. Having one last opportunity to enjoy the beautiful Yellowstone and its landscape, it's precisely what I do throughout the ride.

Sam and Malik engage into a conversation, and the rest of us remain silent to our thoughts. I can't describe what I'm feeling right now, but it's surely not something I could term as bliss.

At the Airport I'm reminded of Peter picking us up like some clumsy tourists, and I smile weakly when he looks at me with his discrete glance while talking to Liam.

Looks like the boss is giving some orders, for Peter keeps nodding and nodding, and Liam is seemingly serious as he tells him something right outside the car.

Before leaving, however, Peter approaches me and says, "Nice trip, Miss—" He pauses, running a hand through his raven hair like a flustered young boy. "I mean, Kira."

How cute! I can't help but smile from the way he's just addressed me casually as if it was the hardest thing to do. Do they get gentleman training on the ranch?

Well, I highly doubt, if I consider some boy named Julian.

"Thank you, Peter." I hug his sturdy body, and it takes him completely off guard. He stiffens and it makes me smile heartily.

"Don't mention," he whispers, smiling back.

Liam glances at us but he doesn't say a thing. He's expressionless, his eyes bored deeply into mine. Malik is on the phone, and Sam is following him with her eyes on her own phone.

"Time to go, Professor!" Malik shouts as he starts heading inside the airport.

Well, here goes nothing.

I naturally catch up with Liam, who's also carrying my suitcase, and I realize we haven't talked to each other in a while now. How do I approach him? I ponder as I hold his pace.

Should I ask about the weather?

"Have you been to Florida before?" Liam breaks the silence when I least expect, and a part of me jumps with joy.

"Not at all," I reply vaguely, and his precarious blue eyes give me a brisk glance. "But I suppose it's a very nice place, especially Miami." I glance back at him with a small smile.

"I guess," he prompts heedlessly, and his brows knit in apprehension. What now? "Are you still angry at me?" he asks, and I hold my tongue, taken aback. "You don't even want to talk to me, right?" He sounds hurt by my indifference.

What does he want us to talk about? I sigh, jostling my way past a couple of teenagers in a group who are laughing heartily, their voices mingling with Flight announcement.

"I don't know what else to say," I answer truthfully. I can't say that I'm crazy for him, and then back out when he asks me to make a move regarding this. "Let's just leave things as they are. It won't kill us, will it?"

Liam's jaw tightens ruefully, shattering my faulted heart. He stays taciturn for a few seconds before saying, "I think—"

"Kiki, can you tell me what this word means?" Sam's voice interrupts our discreet exchange, and I thank heavens for that, unlike Liam.