Thirty-three

"This house is terrific," Veronica utters, her fake eyelashes fluttering like butterflies as she glances around. "Who's the owner?" she asks Sam.

"That's the guy." Sam points out Malik's direction.

"Hmm, I see. I feel like I've seen him somewhere," Veronica remarks.

I sip the cold beer, trying to adjust. I don't feel like I belong here.

"And are you the one riding his dick?" Jeremy asks Sam, and the two ladies laugh as though it was something beautiful to say . . . or hear.

So disgusting.

"Jay, dear, when will you realize that not all men are as imbeciles as you are, huh?" Sam admonishes him.

"Statistics prove otherwise though." He shrugs while sipping his water, seated on the chair like a Baron.

"Of course not. Having a pack of women on their list isn't every man's desire, apparently. But what do you know about that?" My eyes are firm toward him.

Silence reigns as everyone studies me carefully. Have I grown an extra nose or something? Sighing, I glance away and swallow another sip.

"I think I agree with Kira," Traven says coolly, grabbing my attention. "Not all guys are crooked. There are still good men out there, or here." He points at himself. We all laugh. He's a comic one, and I badly want to believe his words.

"If you find that good man who doesn't want to whip off your pretty little panties, let me know. Like I said, statistics shows otherwise. And you ladies know this so well and still you keep throwing your ways unto us." He gives me a suggestive look.

What is he insinuating? A frown flits on my face.

"And since when do you read anything, Jay?" Sam snickers from across him. Another laughter fills the air, making Jeremy smirks. "You know, I like you a lot, darling, but that doesn't mean you're charming, and not everyone is impressed with your chauvinist ideas."

"Easy there, girl. Jay is mine so you better watch out, huh? You are not attacking him now, are you?" Veronica glares at her.

"Why don't you eat him while at it?" I think out loud. She glares sternly at me. "Sorry, it's just too ridiculous to think everyone has the same taste as you, McClellan."

Veronica huffs a vexed laugh. "Since when do you talk, huh? I think you're better off as—"

"Veronica. Don't!" Sam warns.

"No, let her," I intervene curiously. "I'd like to hear what you have to say, girl, so say it."

I just don't understand what her deal is. She's been quite a blabbermouth ever since we were in college; not a second passed without making those stupid comments. If it weren't for what I wore, then it's my personality, just to annoy me.

Fuck, not this time.

"You just think you're so special, huh?" Veronica says, and I only scoff. "The innocent one while in reality you are nothing but a slu—"

"Stop it, V!" Jeremy snaps, furious. "Are you five or something? If you add another word—"

"What?" Veronica snarls, and everything gets ugly in a whiff. "Are you still nuts over her? Is that it? You still dream about her as if she's your little obsession?"

"I said shut up!" Jeremy stands up briskly and his voice reverberates furiously. "I don't do stupid insecure jealousy chicks and you fucking know that!"

What's going on? My blood stirs and the others are in wonder.

"Okay, all of you . . . Chill." Sam tries to calm them as Malik and his crew turn their attention to us.