Day 10- Day of the Dead.

It's funny, a lot of people associate day of the dead with Halloween

It's funny, a lot of people associate day of the dead with Halloween. It's beyond Halloween. It's a remembrance of the ones we lost. A celebration of their lives. But if you live in my small town in Texas, it's a MUCH MORE than that.. Because here, for three days only, the dead come back to life.

"Wow. That girl sure picked the wrong week to move here."

My best friend Carrie and I looked over at the new girl siting two rows away.

"Do you think she knows?"

"About OUR Day of the Dead? No. Poor girls in for a rude awakening."

At lunch, I decided to sit with her. She looked at me baffled.

"Hi." I said with a bright smile."

"Hello." She mumbled.

"Your new right? I'm Amber."

"Artemis."

"Wow. That's a pretty name. Unique."

She smiled a little. "Thanks."

"So what brings you to our little town?"

"Umm I was actually born here. My dad and I moved away when I was three after my mom died. Cancer."

"Oh. I'm so sorry."

"My dad lost his job so we had to move back in with my grandparents."

"Where did you move from?"

"New York."

"That's gotta suck. To live in a big city like that only to come back to a town filled with no attractions."

We don't even have a mall...

She shakes her head, "Not at all actually. I never really got out much. I'm not that social."

"You don't say?"

She looks down at her plate and plays with her food.

"I'll tell you what. There's a party tonight at one of the bigger graveyards. Here's an invitation. Why don't you come by."

"One of the bigger graveyards? How many are there?"

"Five. People like to die around here."

Her fave was horrified.

"Okay, see you at 11!"

"PM?!?"

I nod at her as I walked away.

The graveyard was packed with a bunch of teenagers. Doing obscene things late in the night.

I waved at Artemis when I saw her. I honestly didn't think she'd come.

"Artie!"

"Oh my God. You befriended her?" Carrie laughed.

"Yes. She's actually pretty nice."

"Hi." She looked at our clothes. "I—I didn't know we were supposed to change."

"Don't worry about it. You look fine. Artie this is my best friend Carrie."

Carrie waved and handed her a drink.

"Oh no thank you. I don't drink alcohol."

She scoffed, "It's root beer. Not all wild teens drink alcohol."

She take the drink embarrassed. "I'm—I'm so sorry."

"Yeah. I'm going to get another."

Artie looked down at her feet and kicked a rock.

"Don't sweat it. Carrie's kind of a bitch. I think someone poured pigs blood on her in a previous life."

That made her laugh. Mission accomplished.

"So, tell me about your parents."

I peeked up, "Well, my dad use to be a insurance salesman and my mom use to be a dentist."

"Use to be?"

"They both died about three years ago. Car accident. I was in the car too, but I survived."

"I didn't know I'm sorry."

"No it's fine. It makes me thankful for this town. Even if I left one day m, I'd always come back on Halloween. Just so I can see them again. Last year we went rock climbing and the year before that—

"Woah, wait. You said they died there years ago?"

I nod. "They did."

"If they died three years ago, how would you be able to spend time with them?"

I winced, "Well... this is awkward. I'd assume your dad our your grandparents would've told you. I'd assume you came tonight to see your mom."

"To see my mom? What are you talking about?"

"Yesterday was the start of the day of the dead. Every night at the stroke of midnight the dead that are buried here resurrect."

"You mean come back to life?!? That crazy!"

"Hey everyone! It's time!" Someone yelled.

"Looks like your about to find out just how crazy it is."

Suddenly the graveyard was even fuller. People in all kinds of clothing outdated and all were standing with a bundle of expressions.

"Oh my God." She breathed.

"Artie?"

A woman appeared behind Artemis wearing a glowing white dress. She looked exactly like her.

Artie slowly tuned around...

"Mom?"