Day 26- My Best Friend.

I paced my room until my feet started to hurt

I paced my room until my feet started to hurt. I didn't know what else to do. My body won't keep still.

"Okay I'm here. Why did I have to rush over to your house? You were very vague in the phone."

I stopped pacing and glanced up at my friend. My only friend. He's  always been there for me. "Follow me." I left my room and he followed me downstairs to the basement.

He let out a shriek when we reached the bottom. "Who—who is that?!?"

"My stepdad."

"Why does he look dead?!"

My stepdad laid lifeless on the cold concrete.

"Because he is."

"No, no, no, I can't be here! Why did you call me?! You know I am around dead bodies!"

"Because your my best friend! And I didn't know who else to call! My moms not going to be back till tomorrow."

"How didn't he die then?"

"Well, we were arguing about his drinking. I simply asked him could he not drink during the day. That it bothered me. It bothers my mom too, but she doesn't have a backbone."

"Ouch."

"It's true. She lets this man walk all over her! I'm sick of it. After my dad died, I was supposed to be the man of the house. Then she goes and marries him because she doesn't like to be alone."

"She wasn't alone though. She has you."

"She does, but I'm in college. Who knows what goes on here when I'm not around. Anyways we started arguing, he grabbed me and I shoved him. Hard. He hit his head on the kitchen counter and... died."

"Okay, why didn't you just call 911? Sounds like an accident to me."

"Because of what I found on him." I handed him the card I took from my stepdad's pocket."

"You searched him?"

I shrugged it off.

His mouth dropped when he looked at the card. "The Creepers? You've got to be shitting me. He's a member of the Creepers?!"

"He's either a member or he's working closely to them. Either way I don't want to find out. The Creepers are a deadly pack of people in this town and you don't mess with them. If you do, you'll end up dead. Accident or not, if they find out I'm the reason he's dead they'll do something to me. Or worse, my mother."

"So, we make it look like he's not dead. Like he skipped town or something. That way they'll be looking for him thinking he betrayed them and left."

"By foraging a letter in his name?"

He scoffed, "That's the real reason you called me over here, isn't it. I'm the best at foraging."

I shrugged, "It could be one of the reasons."

"I'll go study his hand writing, you find something to wrap him up in."

I take his hand before he walks back upstairs. "Thank you for helping me."

He gave my hand a squeeze, "I'd do anything for you. You're my... best friend."

Our hands lingered a moment longer before we let go.