Day 16- Throwing Knives.

"You should compete for that

"You should compete for that."

" Compete for what?" I throw the small dagger at my dart board hitting the bullseye every time.

"There has to be a dart throwing competition out there somewhere. You win for sure. I've never seen you miss."

"As you can see I'm not throwing darts though. I'm throwing knives. Darts are to light. I can't throw those properly." I threw another one and got another bullseye.

"Oh wow."

"What?"

"Knife throwing, it's a sport too."

"I know."

"You should compete!"

I threw the last one hard and the board flattered to the floor. "Listen, you're my best friend and I love you, but stop. I'm not competing... in anything."

"Geez okay. I just thought we could make some money off of it."

"And that's your problem! That's been your problem since high school. You don't want to work. You are a grown ass woman with two small kids. It's time
to act like it."

She crossed her arms and scowled at me, "I didn't come over here to be insulted."

"No, you're right. You came over here to mooch on me. Again."

"So you're not going to give me any money?"

"NO! Because I know what you'll do with it. Spend it on clothes and shoes for yourself. I know you love your kids, but you got to do better. They're gonna get taken away from you."

"WHAT?! Why would you say that?!? Has someone spoke to you?"

"No. But you know Michael's been talking to child services. And honestly... I don't blame him."

"You know what fine! I don't need you! I don't need anyone." She grabbed her things and left my basement.

When I went upstairs for something to drink, she was sitting in my couch drinking a glass of wine.

"I thought you left?" I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and joined her.

"I was, but the car outside spooked me."

"What car?" I got up and looked out the window. A dark red car parked right outside my house. I recognized it.

Shit.

"Do you know who that is? There was a guy leaning against it when I was walking out. It made me walk right back in."

"No, he's not out there."

Turning back around, I was horrified. Behind her on the couch was a guy holding a gun. "Don't move."

She screamed and hoped over to the other couch.

"Damn it! I said don't move."

"What do you want Stevens?"

"You—you killed my wife."

I shook my head, "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

"Shut up!" He screamed through the tears. "You're the throwing star killer."

I chuckle, "I'm the I'm what?!? You cannot be serious."

"Don't insult me, I know it's you. You like to kill people by throwing shurikens at them. You hit them and throw them deep. Hitting the perfect spot for them to bleed out."

I rolled my eyes.

"Tell me why... why'd you kill her? What did she do?"

"Okay fine. I'll tell you the truth. I'm a hit man."

"A what?" My friend and the guy asked together.

"I'm a killer for hire."

"You're saying someone hired you to kill my wife?!"

"Her ex-husband. That child you had six months ago? Not yours. His. He had a whole DNA test done and everything. She wouldn't give him custody, wouldn't let him see the child. So, he hired me to kill her. That's why your wife died."

"Why—why are you telling me this? I could go straight to the police with this."

I pulled out what of the daggers I was throwing and smiled. "I just thought you'd want to know the truth before you died." I throw the knife at the center of his throat. He fell back and started to choke on his blood.

My friend screamed and ran off the couch to help him. "Unless you want to be his accomplice, I'd advise you not to touch him."

She froze inches from his body and looked at me.

I took the dagger out and replaced it with a similar kitchen knife. "When I call 911 we tell them that he broke in here, tried to rob us. I killed him to protect us. Okay?"

I pulled out my phone and dialed.

"You're really a hit man?"

"I prefer hit woman."

"Can I hire you to kill my ex?"

I laugh, "Oh sweetie, you couldn't afford me."