Hoshiumi Kourai - Compliments

I relate so much to this guy because I'm also short compared to girls.

(Edit: Seeing this scene animated was great!)

"Hoshiumi-san." You call timidly as you approach him, living a respectful distance between you both.

He turns at the sound of his name, looking at you with a slight hint of curiosity in his eyes, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes?"

"My name is (Y/N) and hum... well..." You trail of, suddenly lost of what you wanted to say. Your heart was beating fast, your hands were sweaty and you were trying really hard to maintain eye contact. You failed.

You were an introvert and it was taking every fiber of your being not to turn around and run. But something about him just pushed you to say what you wanted.

"Is everything okay?" He cocks his head to the side, trying to get a better look at you. You were looking down, your eyes glued to the floor, focused on how his shoes gave a few steps towards you.

"Y-Yes. I just wanted to say that..." You gather your courage and you look up, into his eyes. "You were pretty awesome at the court." You say, your eyes shining. "Your spikes were amazing."

He lifts his face, as if he was getting mad at something, and looks down to you. He wasn't as tall as the other players but still taller than you.

He didn't say anything.

You start to panic.

"W-Well, I just wanted to say t-that. Thank you for your time." You bow respectfully as you turn around and walk as fast as you could without seeming weird.

Hoshiumi stared at your back, blinking in confusion. His mind still didn't process what happened. When it finally did, he ran to where you went, looking in all directions.

He glimpsed your hair. "(Y/N)! Wait!" He calls.

The sudden call of your name by an unknown voice had you stop in your tracks, looking around you, confused. There were too many people.

You feel a warm hand on your wrist and you turn around, staring at beautiful brown eyes.

"Sorry I didn't say anything back there. I thought that..." He takes a glance at you, noticing you staring at his hand and lets go of it. You blush.

"When complimenting me, people tend to say 'You are amazing, even though you're short' or 'Despite your height, you make amazing spikes.' and that just irritates me. My height is an obstacle indeed but it doesn't mean that I'm less talented or work less than the others. You were," He scratches his cheek, looking away, a small blush on his cheeks. "the first one who ever complimented me without mentioning my height."

You stare at him, this time unable to look away. He, a guy who you had admired ever since you caught a glimpse of him training at the volleyball practices, a guy that you never talked before today and didn't even know that you existed, was opening up to you, telling his frustrations.

You make a warm smile. "I know how it is people underestimating or making fun of us because of our height. But you," You say, your eyes soft. "You prove them all wrong every time you play. And I really admire that."

His eyes widen slightly and he scratches his cheek, making a small smile. "That's also the first time I hear that."

You nod, not knowing what to say. You look around, trying to think of something smart to say but nothing came up. And you really wanted to continue the conversation.

Hoshiumi gazes at you, taking in your features and how you were playing with your hands, obviously nervous.

"So..." He starts, making you look in his direction. "Do you want to come watch me practice sometime?"