Hirugami Sachiro - Looking Down

"Why are you always looking down, (Y/N)?" Hirugami asks, turning his head to look at you.

"Hmm?" You turn your head as well.

"You are always looking down."

"No, I'm not." You reply, looking at the grass.

"You're doing it right now." He points out and your eyes widen slightly. You quickly look at him.

"You're right!" You exclaim, amazed." Am I really always doing that?" You ask, a bit anxious for some reason.

"Yeah, you are."

You play with the grass. "Well... I never really noticed. I guess I have always done that so it was never really that odd to me."

Hirugami stays silent, observing you with his head resting on his arms, which were supported in his knees. You pretend you don't notice.

You two were at the park, sitting on the grass, relaxing. He was a bit tired from practice and you enjoyed every opportunity to be alone with him.

Not that you would tell him that, of course.

"Why don't you try changing that habit?"

"It's easier to look down. That way, I don't have to look in people's eyes."

"Why don't you want that?"

Your eyes turn sad. "You can discover a lot by looking into someone's eyes. If they are lying, if they hate you. I prefer not to know the true nature of a person."

"You can also see if you're important to them or if they love you. Why are you only thinking on the negative things?"

You shrug. "I guess I'm a pessimist."

"Look at me."

You stop your movements but don't look."What?"

"I want you to look at me in the eyes and tell me what you see."

You giggle nervously. "D-Don't joke with me, please."

You feel fingers on your chin, gently turning it so that you faced the boy. You take a sharp breath as your eyes lock on his, but you don't do anything to move away; you don't close your eyes nor turn your head.

And why? Because his eyes were telling not to; his eyes showed care and determination and were so handsome you couldn't bring yourself to break the contact.

You feel a hand on your hair, caressing it; then it goes onto your cheek and you start taking quick breaths. Feeling scared, you break the eye contact and turn around, so you don't face him.

Hirugami blinks at you and in an instant, his hopes were crushed. She... doesn't like me that way.

"I'm sorry." You whisper, hiding your face on your knees. "I didn't mean to be rude."

"It's okay." He lies, trying to sound positive. "I-"

"I just got so nervous when I saw the way you looked at me." You admit.

Hirugami smiles sadly at you and shakes his head. "Don't worry; it's not like it's your fault you don't like me that way. I figured that would happen."

Your eyes widen at his words and you quickly look at him. "That's not that at all!" You tone raises as you start to panic; had you given him the wring idea?

Hirugami blinks at you, confused. "I'm afraid I'm not understanding, (Y/N)."

You take a deep breath. If I don't tell him, how is he supposed to figure it out after how I treated him?

"I...I like you, Hirugami." You confess, not looking at him. "You're very important to me."

You didn't see as a bright smile made its way to the boy's lips and the way his eyes twinkled. You feel something soft on your cheek and you blush hard as you realize that it was his lips.

W-What is he doing!

"Look ahead, (Y/N)." He whispers in your ear and that place gets hot.

You slowly do as he says and look up; your eyes widen and you smile upon the marvelous sunset in front of you - the sky was orange and red and pink and purple clouds appeared here and there.

It's beautiful. And I was so close and yet missing it.

You turn your head slightly, meeting Hirugami's eyes. Again, they were gentle as he looked down at you.

"You're very important to me too, (Y/N)." He murmurs as he takes a piece of your hair and tucks it on your ear. You blush even more, if it was possible.

"I... I want to see everything." You whisper. "I don't want to look down anymore. I want to face everything."

Hirugami smiles as he touches your forehead with his. "I'll help you. Always."