Hoshiumi Korai - Skill

Requested by KarlTheUnipugHope you enjoy!

Slight SPOILER for the last arc of the 'Haikyuu' manga

"Today we'll have a joint practice with the women's team." The coach of the men's team says. "I hope you will all take the best of this opportunity and improve your weaknesses. Sometimes, it takes a view from the opposite gender to understand things better."

With that, you and your team entered the gym. You rolled your eyes at your teammates, who were giggling and smiling at the men. You loved them but sometimes they could be desperate in their attempts of flirting.

There was one boy who caught your attention, however. It was hard not to notice since he considerably shorter than the rest. Just like you. He was looking at you too, his eyebrows lifted in surprise.

"Ne, (Y/N)." Sumire, a friend and the libero, says. "It seems like you have met your other half!"

"What?"

"I mean, you are both short, so you two together make a whole person!" She jokes, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

You hit her playfully on the shoulder. "Ha ha, that's so funny." You say ironically.

Practice would consist in working on pairs or trios, that would be constantly changing. You get paired with the boy you had noticed, and you reluctantly realize he was slightly taller than you.

"Hi!" He greets enthusiastically, extending his hand. "My name's Hoshiumi Korai. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

You smile at his excitement, shaking his hand. "Hi, it's very nice to meet you too. I'm (L/N) (Y/N)."

You go and grab a ball, Hoshiumi by your side. "What position do you play?"

"I'm the setter." You answer with a smile. Whenever you mentioned your position, you couldn't help but feel proud. "And you?"

His chest swells with pride. "I'm a wing spiker!"

Your mouth forms an 'o'. "Wow, that's amazing."

Hoshiumi was used to people staring at him in disbelief or asking how he could ever be that position with his height. However, you related him too well and knew how infuriating was that so you didn't do that. If he was on the team, that's because he was good.

"Let's start by training our serves, what do you think?" You suggest, suddenly eager to show off. Your serve was the most intimidating of the whole team.

Hoshiumi gives you a bright smile. "Okay!"

You go to the end of the court while Hoshiumi positions himself to receive. You close your eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath, and open them with determination shining on them; you jump and give the ball all your strength.

Hoshiumi's eyes widen under the skill of your serve and his arms suffer the impact. The ball goes in the opposite direction he meant to.

"Wow." He looks at you, an enthusiastic smile growing on his lips. "That was strong! Even I couldn't lift it."

You try to suppress your smirk, but fail. "Thanks. I have practiced a lot."

Then you two proceeded on training receives, spikes and blocks, together with other groups. You had a blast since Hoshiumi was so captivating and funny. Just for meeting him were glad for the joint practice.

"Hey," You nudge him at the end of the practice. "Where's Kageyama-san? I did notice he wasn't here but forgot to ask."

Hoshiumi lifts an eyebrow. "Kageyama? Do you know him?"

"Well, not personally." You say, scratching your cheek. "But I do admire him. His setting skills are incredible, and my dream is to be like him." Your eyes twinkle, your voice growing excited. "I would love to meet him!"

Hoshiumi tried to control his face not to show any signs of irritation or boredom. It's not like he was jealous; he had only met you a couple hours ago. But hearing you sounding so excited to meet someone other than him... it frustrated him.

Huh... Maybe it is jealousy after all. Hoshiumi thought.

"He had a doctor's appointment." He explained, his tone dismissive. "He'll be back tomorrow."

You clap your hands. "Perhaps I can meet him then!"

Hoshiumi doesn't say anything, focusing on his stretches. You notice the change in his expression.

Before you could ask anything, Hoshiumi suddenly turns to you, his face determined, a twinkle on his eyes.

"Hey, would you like to go grab a coffee after this?"

You blink, not understanding. "We are all getting one with the coaches."

Hoshimi slaps his face and you giggle a bit. "I forgot about that. What I meant was... if you wanted to go on a... on a..."

"On a?" You press, wanting to know. You were pretty dense.

"On a date." He finally manages to say, looking straight into your eyes.

You blush under the intensity of his gaze and from his request. "Wait, me?"

He laughs a bit. He sits closer to you, tilting his head. "Yeah, you."

You glance away, feeling heat even in your ears. You were not used to romantic things. But you did enjoy them.

The answer came out surprisingly easy and you get amazed by how quickly your decision was made.

You look back at him, smiling brightly as you place a hand over his.

"I would love to!"