Chapter One

It was still chilly in Brooklyn at this time of year. Enough to wear a light coat to keep out the cool breeze as people walked along the busy sidewalks that took up the urban environment.

But this? This was perfect weather for when he liked to escape after a mission. He did this most the time when things didn't go the way that the team had hoped.

He would change into his everyday street clothes and distance himself from the compound. Today a white shirt, navy zip up jacket, baseball cap, and worn out jeans. Then he would walk the city pavement of his hometown to debrief.

Some days he would just walk listening to the sounds of the city and watching the citizens as he took it all in. Other days, he plugged in his headphones and I-pod that Nat helped him set up and tune out the chaos around him. Only focusing on the sights of the hussle and bussle of Brooklyn.

Today was more of the latter. He wanted to drown out his thoughts and just take in the view.

There were women and men walking their dogs. Teenagers stopping at street food vendors grabbing an after school snack before heading home for real dinner. Children in strollers waving their hands around in playful motions. Business people talking loudly on their phones, not concerned at all of people over hearing the arguments.

But then he saw something, or should I say someone, that caught his eye unlike everything else.

A women coming out of the coffee shop with papers and books taking up all the space in her arms, along with a fresh cup of caffeine in her opposite hand. She had beautiful Y/H/C hair that shined just right in the light. Almost looking as if it were changing colors with each different glare of the sun hitting it. It was styled in big dramatic curls that made it look voluminous and majestic as the strands cascaded down her shoulder. She had on a white sweater that was slightly tucked in the front of a cherry red skirt. Her lips were as bright as her skirt and sculpted to make any man look twice. Her heels were white like the sweater, but had a small pump to them. Her purse was close to the same color of her skirt just barely off in shade as it hung off her shoulder.

She was paying no mind to her surroundings, as if she were on autopilot to getting to her next destination, and looking down at the papers in her arms

She was paying no mind to her surroundings, as if she were on autopilot to getting to her next destination, and looking down at the papers in her arms. Steve had the feeling something was about to go wrong, and looked up seeing someone beating out a rug over head on their balcony. Just one second after looking up, the rug slipped from the person's hang and quickly started to fall hard.

As if in slow motion, Steve looked back at the women seeing she was positioned right under it, not in any hurry to move from her spot.

Without hesitation, he sprinted the few couple yards over to her, and wrapped his arm around her waist snagging her from the near accident. He whisked her away so fast, a few books and papers fell out of her hands and she fell into his arms.

"Whoa!" she gasped as she was pulled away.

Steve turned her to where his back was toward the rug and was shielding her from any other debris that could have fell with it. They heard the thud of the carpet hitting the concrete and few gasp from the crowd around them. She had closed her eyes in the process, but he was looking down at her face waiting to see what color those eyes were.