Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Banner thinks he found a cure."

When you heard those words, you froze. A cure. For you? He found one? How? You've spent your whole life studying this, tried everything, every combination. What could he possible put together that you didn't.

Bursting through the doors with Steve close behind, you walked quickly to Banner who was leaning over a microscope.

"Tell me this isn't just a theory, Bruce. Please tell me this is real." you said out of breath from running to get there.

"I'm hoping it's real. For your sake." Bruce said in a hopeful tone.

"Show me." you said getting nervous with your voice barely coming out.

"Sure." he smiled to reassure you. "Come give this a look first." he motioned to the scope.

You walked over and looked in as he explained.

"So the slide you're looking at now is the blood I drew when the serum was no longer contaminating you. So-"

"My normal blood. I can see the extra white blood cells." you answered for him as you looked.

"Right. So this next slide." he moved in a new slide while you continue to look down. "This is your blood when the serum was in it."

"The cells aren't branching as fast."

"Correct. Which is why you were taking longer to heal. So I went back and looked at the pure serum that we pulled from Bates lab, and did some experimenting." Bruce said moving to the other side of the table as you watched, and grabbing some new equipment. "Now, I noticed some things in the serum that I hadn't seen before. New elements. I was able to get something close apparently because when I added it to your blood..." He took a deep breath as he looked up at you. "This happened."

You looked up just now seeing Tony and Steve watching closely. You had been so focused on the cure that you hadn't registered the two in the room even though you knew they were there.

"Just a few drops of the new serum, and you're blood..." Bruce continued as you leaned back over the microscope to get a view of the reaction.

You let out an audible gasp at what you saw happen. It took a little to work, but eventually the cells and DNA formed back into what a normal blood sample should look like. Not modified at all.

"It-it-" you stuttered out as you took a step back and placed a hand on your heart.

"What? Did it work?" Steve said coming to your side, placing a hand on your lower back, and looking at Bruce.

"Yeah. It worked." he smiled.

"Y/N-" Steve said turning to you who was still in shock.

"What are the possibilities? Chances it doesn't work?" you asked.

"What do you mean? It just worked Y/N! We have the proof right there." Steve said confused at your reaction.

"For that small of a sample, yes. But if we try doing it to all 5.5 liters of blood in my body, it could have a different chemical reaction." you explained.

"She's right. If we don't balance out an equation to get the ratio right, then it could end up hurting her more than saving her." Tony spoke up.

"What he said." Banner breathed out taking off his glasses and crossing his arms. "Since we can't really test it on someone else or something else, we only have one chance at this."

"What?" Steve asked shocked.

"If we do this, and don't get the measurements right... It could end of killing me." you summed up.