Chapter Twenty-Seven

The car ride back to the house was quiet, tense, and uncomfortable. Instead of your mind racing at a hundred miles an hour to figure things out, it went practically brain dead. You were too exhausted to process everything that went down, and just wanted to curl up in bed and not come out for hours.

Steve and Tony shared a look after seeing you blindly stare out the window. It was almost like your soul had left your body, and left a shell of a person behind.

Steve wanted to pull you in and hold you to give you the energy you needed. He wanted to switch places with you so you never had to feel the pain that you were feeling right this instant. He hated seeing the bright and happy person you usually were, completely gone.

You finally arrived at the compound and as soon as the car was in park, you didn't wait for someone to open the door. You got out, and headed straight for your room. You didn't want to talk. You didn't want to pretend that what just happened, didn't happened. You just wanted to sleep and hopefully forget about it for a few hours. Hell, even a few minutes if you could manage.

You walked by a worried Steve who tried coming to your aid, but remembered how he shouldn't suffocate you. Especially at a time like this. Wanda and Tony also were going to step in and say something, but you walked past them too fast before they could. Lastly, Bucky kept his distance. He knew exactly where you were mentally. He wasn't going to stop you on your mission to your bedroom.

Luckily, you made it to your room without any one stopping you. Immediately changing into a sweatshirt and shorts, you climbed into your bed, and cocooned yourself into the giant comforter. You sat there for about 10 minutes with your mind blank. Then almost like a slap to the face, the thoughts that you had kept at bay hit you hard. You found yourself crying and not stopping yourself from doing so. You wanted to let it out. It felt good to let it out.

About 30 minutes of coming home and crying, you heard the slightest sound of someone knocking on the door.

You sniffled away some tears to and quieted yourself to make sure you weren't just hearing anything.

There was a pause before another rap on the door, and the low voice of someone came through.

"Y/N?"

It was Steve. You were too tired to try and push him away, and something in you told you to not fight him.

"Y/N, can I come in? It's just me." he asked.

You nodded before realizing he couldn't see you. You sniffled a few more tears, and with a hoarse voice, spoke up.

"Y-Yeah, come in."

The door opened a crack before slowly opening all the way and showing Steve in sweatpants and a white t-shirt. He had a tray of things in his hands, but you didn't pay much attention to what was on it.

"Hey sweetheart. I, uh, I brought you some things. You need to take your pain meds, and-" he stopped when he saw you crumpled in a ball at the head of the bed. He heard you crying and he was just going to drop things off and then let you be, but seeing you broken like this wasn't what he thought he would see. "Y/N." he said in an endearing way before he placed the tray on the dresser and made his way to you.

You sniffled the few tears you weren't able to push back, and brought your sweatshirt to your face to wipe away any evidence of sadness.

"I, uh, I'm not doing too hot right now." you forced a fake laugh. "I c-can't really... Comprehend everything and-" you stopped as your voice began to waver. You weren't going to make it through the rest of the sentence without crying.

So you didn't push it down and instead let Steve see the vulnerable side of you. You broke down crying and in an instant Steve had you engulfed in his arms again. He moved to the empty side of the bed and pulled you into his side. He threw your feet over his lap and let you form into a ball on him.