Chapter Twenty-Three

Steve started marching to the holding room where they had Garrison Bates chained up. Everyone he passed saw the anger and determination in his eyes, and each person stepped further away from him in fear of what would happen if they got in the way.

Taking the last turn Steve noticed Sam, Bucky, Wanda, and Tony looking into the double sided window at the criminal that had kidnapped and hurt you.

Steve knew that they would try to stop him, so he didn't hesitate in his motive and walked up to the door to the room. He was only seconds from opening it and locking himself in with the maniac, but of course Bucky was ready for the action.

"Steve. Take a second to think about your next move," he said blocking him from the door and effectively cutting him off.

"Move Buck," Steve said sternly not making eye contact, but staring at the metal door intensely.

"You know I can't do that," Bucky said moving his hands up showing he didn't want to fight, but he would make his move if needed.

"Bucky-" Steve started.

"Steve, he's right. You aren't in the right mindset," Tony spoke up. "Go take a breather. Come back when you're more level headed," he asked of him, never breaking his concentration from the window he was looking in on.

Steve turned his head quickly to Tony's voice and sent a glare to the group of teammates that were all staring at him with concern.

"You guys didn't see her. He hurt her. He messed with her in ways that-"

"We know. Banner filled us in," Sam whispered looking down at the ground with pain in his voice. "I'm sorry man."

"Don't tell me sorry! Tell Y/N! We didn't get to her in time, and now we have no idea what's going to happen," he said marching toward the group with rage becoming more clear in his tone.

"Steve-" Wanda spoke up.

"Banner doesn't even know what's happening. He's run test after test and he can't figure out what's wrong, or what that bastard did to her!" he shouted pointing at the window and finally seeing Garrison since they brought him in. "He's the only one who knows what's happening, and I'm going to be the one to get it out of him."

"What makes you think you are in the right mind for that? Huh?" Tony shouted back, turning to the Captain. "You weren't the only one effected by this. We all messed up! She was supposed to be safe at the compound! That's what it's there for! Protection."

Tony clearly was blaming himself for everything and Steve picked up on it. The tension relaxing a little in his shoulders now that he realized Bruce was right. He wasn't the only one feeling guilty or hurt in this.

"I built that place for security and safety for anyone who stepped foot into it. Somehow, they were able to take her and do things to her that I would never wish on anyone. So before you go on about how much this is your fault, and how you are the only who wants answers, get in line," Tony stood strongly now only a few feet from Steve.

There was a moment of silence as everyone took in the vibe of the room. Yes Tony and Steve were affected by this, but everyone else was somehow holding some form of weight on their shoulders by something they put in their own heads as well. They were heroes after all. One bump in the road of any mission usually meant them beating up themselves for allowing it. Even if they couldn't do anything about it.

"What's the update on him?" Steve said pushing past the tension and easing up a bit.

"Nothing yet. Everyone who has gone in to talk to him hasn't got anything out of him," Sam answered.