Chapter Two

"If the world wants us to meet again Steven, we will," you smiled slyly as you turned into the crowd making your great escape.

You walked a little faster knowing that you messed up by saying his name, but you couldn't seem to catch the slip before it came out of your mouth.

Once you were a good distance away from the spot of the almost incident, you turned to make sure he was lost in the crowd. Looking over and around the heads of the many people crowding the walkway, there was no sign of the tall dirty blonde haired man in a baseball cap. You let out a sigh happy that you had got away, but deep down something pulled at your heart making you sad that you had to leave so fast.

It was for the better. It has to be this way.

Finally getting to the office, you walked in greeting the security guard stationed outside of the big cooperation.

"Good Morning, Walter. How was your weekend?" you asked politely, stopping to readjust the files in your arm as you set your coffee down.

"Nice and relaxing thanks to the Miss's help," He grinned.

"Oh, and hows that? She make the famous-"

"Chicken Noodle soup that you gave us the recipe for? Yes, indeed. Definitely helped with that cold I caught."

"That's why I make it. Nothing it can't cure. Glad she's enjoying the recipe, and I'm glad you are as well," you smiled, placing the files back securely.

"Thanks again Miss. Ember. It was kind of you to let me take an extra day off," he smile back genuinely.

"Don't mention it. We all need some time to recuperate, and you can't do that while patrolling these doors 24/7," you winked, heading to the elevators.

"Oh, almost forgot!" he shouted, taking a few steps to catch up. "The Miss's did want me to ask if you would like to come over for dinner some time. We're having a small little party in a week or so. Thought we would extend the offer as a thank you."

You smiled at him before nodding nicely.

"It all depends on work, but I'll see what I can do." You turned pushing the button to the elevator and it opened immediately. "Thank you kindly for the invite. Have a good day Walter."

He tipped his hat as the doors shut and you were left in the tiny metal box by yourself. You let out a long breath as you thought back to the earlier portion of the morning.

"Oh God. Just when I thought things couldn't get anymore hectic," you rolled your eyes, slouching against the wall.

Then the doors opened and you were greeted with people running around the office space too worried about the task in their hands to see those around them. You straightened your back and put on a fake smile as you waltz to the front desk.

"Morning Claire. Any messages?"

"Yes, you have a meeting today with Dr. Higa and Dr. Frankford. They both are wanting to discuss the lab results for the trial run on C104. Then you have the phone call that needs to be done by 10 for getting that grant for the new serum. Then at 11 you have to review a new set of files for the lab techs that are wanting approval on a new formula that they are needing to implement into a vaccine they have been working on," the blonde haired, brown eye, petite secretary said. "And that's all before noon which leads us to a whole other schedule," she said with a sincere soft smile.

"Ahhh..." you sighed. "There is always work to be done, isn't there? Always something to improve," you smiled. "Do you mind taking these files I reviewed last night and taking them down to the lab for the interns? They need to review my markups and corrections before looking into further research."