Chapter Thirteen

The next day went by a little slower considering how in your own head you were. The whole 'spilling all your secrets out to one of the main people you hid it from' in a span of 5 hours was exhausting and troubling to say the least.

What if Steve just reported you, and you did become a lab experiment? It had happened before when you let it slip a couple of decades back. You never made that mistake again. Or what if he was disgusted with you for doing this, and he never wanted to talk again? Or maybe he was going to pretend to be your friend, and then dump you when he got all the information he needed?

No, that wasn't Steve. If there was one thing you knew, and learned about him from Peggy, or even the news on him, it was that he could be trusted. He was an honest, trusting, respectable, and protective man. He wouldn't it do any of those things.

At least you hoped.

Once again, another week went by. No word from Steve or the Avengers in that time. You just guessed that it had something to do with missions. A lot of crime had erupted in the past few days, so it wasn't that big of a shock.

You ended up coming back to work, no problem, a day after your conversation with Steve. Just like planned, they cleaned everything up, and the corporation was back on track with all bumps in the road averted.

Thanks to the neighboring labs taking you in in the time of crisis, the progress on the virus's cure was close to being perfected.

You were sitting in your office going over some blood work, when your phone rang showing Claire was calling.

"Yes?" you asked hitting the button, but still looking at the samples in front of you.

"Miss. Sue Tran is here to speak with you," Claire answered.

Sue Tran? Sue Tran? Oh right! One of your top interns. One you were hoping to actually hire after her internship was up.

"Thank you. She can come right in," you said pushing the button.

"Ok. You can go in," you heard Claire say in a more hushed tone.

The door opened and in walked Sue. She had almond shaped brown eyes, olive skin, ash colored hair that was pulled back in a bun, and bangs covering her forehead. The new gray hair color trend for this past year, and honestly you were kinda into it surprisingly given of how old styled you were.

"Miss. Tran, what can I do for you today?" you said smiling and motioning to the chair in front of you.

She nodded in thanks and took a seat. She had a file in hand that she was clutching close to her chest. You can see the nerves vibrating off of her just from being in the office with you. Thanks to your mature manner and high level of knowledge, a lot of people were intimidated by you. No matter the age difference. Of course, you didn't mean to come off this way, but at least it helped people to respect you more even if you were 'young' for your job.

"I actually wanted to bring you some news," she said making eye contact finally and with a blush tone on her cheeks.

"What about?" you smiled sweetly hoping to help her relax a little, and like hoped, some tension in her shoulders went down.

"As you know, I was paired with the group that was testing the C4N2 fever/flu that broke out within the last year," she explained.

"Yes, the one that was transferred to the other labs during the shutdown?" you said intrigued, and leaning into your desk more.

"Yes," she smiled. "While we were there, one of the other workers from that branch looked over our progress. They spotted something that I believe we just didn't think about, or completely overlooked. You know how it goes when you look over that same problem for too long," she shrugged.