Chapter Five

As soon as you hung up the phone with Bruce, you let out a long and shaky breath. Maybe he still doesn't know you are. Maybe they didn't show any pictures. Maybe...

Oh, who were you kidding? The chances of him not connecting the dots were at 5% or lower.

It's fine. It's fine. You can avoid them. You are a busy woman. There was always going to be something to do that you could use as an excuse to not have dinner with them... But how long could you keep that up?

You placed your phone on the kitchen counter looking down at it. You had just walked through the door when your phone rang and the whole conversation started. Rolling your eyes at the turn of events you decided you would worry about it after you got out of your work clothes and made dinner.

You ran upstairs in your quaint little house that was vintage, something you always looked for in a house, but modern enough for comfort.

You put on pair of grey joggers, a cropped tank top, and a simple sweater over it that always fell off your shoulder due to the size. You walked over to your vanity, and saw all your curls from today had been tousled due to you running your hands through them. A stressful habit you picked up. You quickly threw it up in a high ponytail and pulled a few strands out to loosen it a little.

Coming back down the stairs, you glanced at your phone again as you walked by it, wondering if you should just pick it up and give into the invitation

Coming back down the stairs, you glanced at your phone again as you walked by it, wondering if you should just pick it up and give into the invitation. Maybe it was time to face your fears after all these years...

No. Now was not the time.

You went to the fridge and started pulling out things to make a small meal. Homemade mac and cheese it was. You got the ingredients out and started boiling the pasta while the cheese and milk mixed.

Again, you looked over at your phone where it hadn't moved from you coming in. You played with the threads of your sweater biting your lip really thinking about it.

"NO! No. You aren't going to do it. Not worth it. You'll be moving on in another 2 years. Not. Worth. It," you silently cursed yourself.

The food was done, so you made yourself a bowl before grabbing your laptop and heading for the dining room table to eat and continue to work. Like you had said, there was always something to be doing.
__

It had been 2 days since they called you and no one really brought it up since then. There were a few teasing remarks here or there directed at Steve, but nothing that was looked too much into.

Steve was in the kitchen with Sam reviewing their last mission when Tony came in.

"Hey Cap, mind if I talk to you for a minute?" he asked, smiling at the two at the table.

"Sure, what's up?" Steve said. Sam nodded and grabbed his protein shake before leaving just the two of them alone.

"So, I've noticed something that keeps coming up on the most recent search history on the house computers," Tony mentioned, taking a seat across from Steve and interlacing his finger, l giving him a look.