Chapter Twenty-Four

After Banner came in with another doctor to run a few test just to see how you were functioning awake now, everyone else started trickling in to pay a visit. Steve staying close to your side with every new visitor.

Of course, everyone apologizing for letting this happen to you, and every time you telling them that it was none of their faults.

First Wanda and Vis who brought you flowers and candy.

Then Nat who just talked with you for a while about other things which was comforting.

Then Sam who said something along the lines of knowing you were a badass who would pull through no matter what.

Then Thor came for only a little to tell you he was sorry he wasn't here, and by the time he got the call he was too late in coming. He brought you a beautiful gem from some other galaxy as an apology, and said that he would send 'this Garrison Bates man', as he put it, in a jail multiple galaxies away if you wanted him to. You laughed him off and told him not to worry about it. You would handle it yourself. Which made a large grin form on his face.

Then Tony and Pepper stopped by bringing you new clothes to replace the hospital gown. Mainly leggings, sweatpants, and sweatshirts since the room was always cold. They also bought an extremely, over the top, bouquet of flowers that you knew cost a fortune. Tony went on about how the compound should have been safe, it was on him, and yada yada yada.

Of course you had to basically tell him to shut up and stop blaming himself like everyone else. He laughed you off and finally gave into you being right, but deep down you could see guilt still there. You would talk about that later.

Lastly, Bucky came in while Banner was drawing blood for another test.

"Hey champ. Good to see you're back to your sassy self," he smiled walking in with his hands in his hoodie pocket.

"Good to see you too James. How are you?" you said adjusting in the bed as your arm hung over the side and Banner inserted the needle.

"You're getting your blood drawn after you were just kidnapped from a crazy scientist who just injected you with God knows what, and you're asking me how I'm doing?" Bucky asked, quirking an eyebrow and standing at the end of the bed.

Steve laughing from the chair he was relaxed in and shook his head at his friend.

"Gee thanks for reminding me of that Barnes," you sassed rolling your eyes.

"Sorry I didn't mean-"

"I'm joking Bucky," you laughed. "I'm a lot tougher than you think."

"Well, I think your pretty tough so that's saying a lot," he winked.

You smiled before feeling another prick of a needle and winced looking down at the pain.

"Sorry, needles a little bigger on this one," Banner explained.

"It's ok. I've had worse," you smiled at him before taking a deep breath. "So, Bucky, back to my original question." You turned back to the long haired man. "How are you?"

"I still don't know why your asking me that question," he said acting dumb.

You gave him a bitch face and his dumb act disappeared immediately. Turning to a 'oh no I've been caught' look.

"Buck, she can read everyone like a book. No use in lying," Steve said crossing his arms and laying back in the chair as if he were going to take another uncomfortable nap.

"Same goes for you Steve," you said turning your head to him. "When's the last time you got actual decent sleep?" you raised an eyebrow.

He peeked over at you and shrugged.