Chapter Twelve

To make the room not so silent, you turned the TV off of mute while the two of you ate.

Even after you both finished dinner, you let the movie finish, and didn't say a word to each other. Of course, then the end credits came on, and you both knew something needed to be said. Then again, no one knew how to start the conversation.

"So, uh-"

"I want you to really think hard about talking before you say some cheesy thing that makes this even more awkward," you said cutting him off and putting your empty bowl on the coffee table.

His mouth shut, and he held onto his bowl a little tighter. You looked over and saw how uncomfortable he was and rolled your eyes at your harsh words.

"Sorry, I think I'm still trying to process the fact I just let my biggest secret out to the one person I've been truly keeping it from for over 70 years," you huffed standing and grabbing your bowl. "Here, I can get that for you," you said offering a hand for his dish.

"It's fine. I can help," he replied, standing and shifting awkwardly in his spot.

You nod and turned on your heel to the kitchen to clean up.

After washing your dish, he walked over with his and when you tried taking it to wash, he shook his head before taking over the sink and cleaning up himself.

You packed up the leftovers of the soup, and put it in the fridge while he cleaned the rest of your dishes. You watched his muscles flex with every other movement, and couldn't believe how amazing they looked in that tight white shirt. Damn that serum.

You studied him for what felt like ages, but was really only a minute at most. You sighed softly knowing he deserved to know your story. You kinda left him hanging on the climax of how you became what you did.

"I was messing around with the formulas in my dad's lab," you stated bluntly.

"What?" he said breaking from his concentration on the dishes.

"I found a formula that had to do with the healing aspect in your serum and saw where he messed up. I thought I could improve it, so, I went into his lab and started modifying it," you leaned against the counter and crossed your arms as you didn't make eye contact with him. But you could feel his baby blues staring you down waiting for more of the story.

"The healing?"

"Yeah, you know how you heal faster than others?" He nodded. "There was a special part pf the formula just for that. He had it too strong at the beginning, and had to make it not so big of the equation once they finally formulated what they administered in you. You were technically supposed to heal even faster than you do now."

"Really? I mean I heal at a pretty fast speed, but-"

"Not compared to what I do," you said through a short laugh.

"Apparently not," he laughed with you, turning back to the dishes and finishing the last few things. "So, you messed with the healing portion, and..."

"And I fixed it," you shrugged.

"And by fixed it you mean?"

"I mean it worked. I tested some lab rats that were exposed to a virus, and within minutes they were completely healthy."

"So how did you end up with-?"

"We all know how science experiments go wrong. People get exposed to things they shouldn't. Your buddy Bruce for one really understands that," you said with a sly smile.

"Right," Steve breathed out grabbing a towel to dry his hands, and then copied your stance of leaning against the opposite counter of you and folding his arms.