Chapter Twenty-Six

"I'm ready."

You walked over to the door with determination taking control of your actions and thoughts. You heard the click that unlocked the giant metal door to the holding room. Taking another deep breath you wrapped your hand around the handle and pulled it open.

You could feel everyone's eyes on you as it shut behind you. Leaving just Garrison, a guard in the corner, and you in the room. The only thing separating you from the rest of the team was the thick metal wall and the double sided mirror that acted as a window for everyone else.

You turned your body seeing Garrison leaned back in his chair smugly, and his hands crossed in his lap. He had an eat-shit-grin on his face, and you could tell he was enjoying how uneasy you were right now.

You quickly shook off any remaining nerves you felt and straighten your posture coming to sit in the seat directly across from him. Forget being scared. This piece of crap deserved to hear what you had to say. You were going to let him have it...

But first some answers.

"Awe, hello doll-face," he hummed your old nickname. "You look amazing considering-"

"Cut the shit Garrison. What was the serum you put in me?" you said sternly cutting him off and not breaking your stoic face.

"Wow. Straight and to the point, huh? I see that time has helped you grow into the independent woman you always were," he said moving forward and placing his interlaced, handcuffed hands on top of the table. "You know with the whole 'women run the world' and 'are the boss' crap nowadays. Got to say, I don't like it on most women, but you? You can pull it off," he said with devil laced smirk.

"What was the serum you put in me?" you asked again.

"Really? No small talk? No, 'how have you been all these years?' Just stupid questions about-"

"You kidnapped me. Beat me. Tied me to a metal table. Injected me with mystery liquid, and you think I want to ask how you've been all these years?" you said harshly. You let out an angry chuckle before leaning forward like him and giving him a deadly glare. "Answer my question Bates. What. Was. The serum. You. Put. In. Me?"

He looked you up and down with a smirk still evident on his face. He liked this side of you. It was making him think old thoughts even if he wasn't supposed to.

"Huh," he laughed out. "Ok, fine. We'll skip the small talk. You want to know what was in the injection?" he asked clearly just to get you to talk again. You didn't budge though and kept your face deadly. "Ok, ok. Not that you don't already know, but it slowed down your healing."

"Be more descriptive."

"What more do you want me to tell you? It seems with how well you're getting around, it didn't have any of the bad side effects it could have," he shrugged.

"What side effects?" you said furrowing your eyebrows more.

"Not healing. Getting worse. Fatigue. Throwing up your insides. Fainting. Coughing up blood. You know, the usual stuff," he said no-big-deal like and leaning back in his chair in a more comfortable way.

"Usual stuff?" You paused putting together what he was meaning. "Did you do this to other people, Garrison?" you questioned. He just looked at you with no expression. "Garrison!"

"It started with lab rats, but then..." he paused.

"Then what?" you gritted.

"People volunteered."

"No, you-"

"They thought they were getting a new way to become more like you. And I wasn't fully lying about that, but," he shrugged. "I figured I try some things on them before doing it to myself."