Chapter Eighteen

"Thank you again for all the donations, and all the support for this evening! Please continue to help yourself to the food, entertainment, conversation, and most importantly... The FREE ALCOHOL! That's just for the adults, kids. Just fair warning so I don't get in trouble," Tony announced on the mike getting cheers after revealing the amount they raised for the foster homes.

The Avengers stood on stage getting a few more picture with the giant check before Pepper said they were clear for the rest of the evening.

Steve stayed on stage to try and see if you were in the same spot. Sure enough you were, and it looked like you finally found Claire and her fiance, but there was a new girl that you were talking to the Steve didn't recognize.

"Find her?" Nat asked patting his back.

"What?" he asked fixing his jacket.

"Find Rose? You're scouting her like a sniper," she giggled.

"Oh, uh yeah. Right where I left her," he said with a smile turning on his lips thinking of you.

"Wow. She really has you wrapped around her finger doesn't she. I didn't think I would live to see the day."

"She sure is giving me a run for my money."

"Glad to see you getting back out there Cap. For a second there, I thought you were ok with being lonely all the time. I was running out of girls to send your way," Nat joked.

He rolled his eyes playfully, and turned back to see you grinning widely at the new girl.

"I'm gonna to get back to her," he said motioning and heading down the stairs on the side of the stage.

"Invite her to the after party! I want to see more of her tonight!" Nat yelled after him.

He nodded and started maneuvering through the crowd to get to you.

"Thank you so much Miss. Ember! Truly it was so nice meeting you, and you're even more humble and incredible in person," the girl who was shaking your hand excitedly said.

"Thank you Tia. It was a pleasure meeting you as well," you smiled placing a hand on your already shaking hands to help calm her clearly nervous, but excited state. "Just remember to apply once you're 18 and I'll see what I can do for you."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! You don't understand how much this means to me!" the dark skinned, curly haired, and bright eyed teenager squealed.

"Of course sweetheart," you smiled.

The girl finally let go of your hand, and was smiling widely before turning away.

"Oh, one last thing!" she said turning back around. "Can I get a picture with you?"

"Sure thing. Here, Claire do you mind?" you said taking her phone and handing it off to Claire.

"Absolutely," Claire said pulling up the camera.

As you turned to take the picture with the ecstatic and starstruck teen, you saw Steve standing only feet away watching the interaction. You gave him a soft smile that he returned before you turned back to the camera.

A few pictures later, you turned back to the girl telling her it was nice to meet her, and that you were excited to see where the future would lead her. She squealed again with joy, and took you by surprise pulling you in for quick and tight hug. She ran back to her friends explaining who you were, and they carried on to another spot in the giant ballroom for the night.

"Here I was thinking I was one of the stars of the show tonight," Steve said coming up behind you as you watched the girl.

"She's an up and coming scientist. She said she knew my work and was looking into working at Williamson's Labs" you explained laughing at the encounter before turning to Steve. "Nothing too special."