Chapter Eight

"Sam, you have the food almost ready to go?" Tony asked as everyone was in a frenzy getting ready for the guest.

"Yes, the roast is prepared and ready to go. All that's left are the rolls, which Wanda is finishing up right now," Sam responded, mixing a giant bowl with salad in it.

"Great! Has anyone seen Pepper?" Tony started, looking around.

"Right here Ton," she giggled, placing a hand on his shoulder as she came in. "Why are you so stressed about this? It's almost like you're on a mission or something."

"Or something," he smiled before placing a kiss on her cheek and wrapping an arm around her waist. "Hey Barton? Have you seen Rogers or Barnes?"

Clint looked up from where he was setting the table and looked to Stark.

"Nope, but if I were to guess, I bet they're getting ready and should be out any second. Steve's got a date tonight," he responded with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

"Right," Tony sighed. "If you'll excuse me, honey," he said, giving Pepper a squeeze before heading to the hallway. "Make sure they don't burn this place down. We're not too use to playing the role of a nuclear family," he shouted behind him, disappearing into the hall on his way to the elevator. "That is of course unless we're using some actual form of bomb," he shrugged as the doors closed.

__

"Why did he have to go and make this such a formal thing?" Steve asked, adjusting his button up shirt and tucking it into his pants. "The chances of her talking to us about what we actually need to know are slim with every single one of the Avengers waiting for her answers."

"Don't ask me what goes on in that brain of his. Stark is his own type of species," Bucky laughed, buttoning the last couple of buttons on his own shirt before turning to Steve. "You nervous?"

"No. Why would I be nervous?" Steve scoffed, failing at hiding his jitters.

"Oh, I don't know. May have something to do with you having a little crush on the girl, and that she could be from our era of living. Meaning she somewhat understands us," Bucky teased  as he came over and looked in the mirror with his best friend. "But I can see how that isn't nerve wracking at all. That sounds like an everyday kinda thing for the life of Captain America."

"You're just as bad as Stark, you know that?" Steve scoffed, not able to hide his smirk from Bucky's comment.

"She must have been quite the dame for you to be going googley eyes with her," Bucky nudged his shoulder. "Stark said that you lost all forms of speech when you saw her."

"I'm sure you won't have much room to talk after you see her tonight too," Steve replied, turning back to him and patting his shoulder and going to his bed to put on his shoes before heading out.

There was a knock at the door, but before they could ask who it was, Tony made his way in.

"What are you two doing in here? She'll be here any minute, and you both are still getting ready?" Tony exaggerated.

"You thought I was freaked out..." Steve said under his breath to Bucky who laughed.

"Hey, I'm doing all this for you bucko," Tony said, pointing fingers now. "You were curious and I lent a helping hand. You should be thanking me right now."

"I don't know about that. I just needed information and I got it. You're the one who set up this whole dinner party and having a panic attack over it all."

"I agree with Steve. Don't you think sitting her down one on one would have been more sensible to get her to talk to us. Instead, we have the whole crew about to interrogate her," Bucky said fixing his belt.