The Slip Up

Word Count: 1421

Pairings: Lucifer Morningstar x Reader

Warnings: angst, sad fluff, fluff

A/N: request from Pawzmom342

Summary: This wasn't how you meant to tell him. Yet standing there in the midst of all the anger and the frustration, it just slipped out.

............................................................

"Lucifer."

You watched him rush around the penthouse, probably searching for his phone that sat on the piano. You had been trying to get his attention for nearly fifteen minutes now,, but, he was too preoccupied.

"Just a moment love, I seem to have misplaced my phone."

"Lucifer I just-"

"Have you seen my phone darling?" He asked cutting you off.

You fell silent and pointed to the piano, and Lucifer smiled, thanking you. This wasn't the first time this had happened. Chloe called and as usual, he'd rush off to her side. While you loved Chloe, you couldn't help but feel increasingly more jealous that she seemed to possess all of your husband's time.

"Can we talk now?"

He stared at his phone screen, humming a little in a poor attempt to show that he was acknowledging you. You frowned a little, wishing he would at least look at you.

"Lucifer." You said with an edge to your voice.

He looked up from his phone at the tone of your voice, as he slipped it into his inner pocket on his suit jacket.

"I'm sorry my dear, I really do need to go, the detective is expecting me, can we talk later?" He asked.

You might have agreed to talk later, if only he hadn't been saying the same thing for days now. If you kept putting it off you feared you may not get to tell him at all. That he'd find out on his own, and that might cause an even bigger issue.

"You said the same thing yesterday."

"Well I-"

"And the day before that." You crossed your arms.

Lucifer at least had the decency to look a little sheepish at that.

"I'm very sorry, I've just been terribly busy."

You didn't fail to notice his mind was elsewhere, and he was itching to leave. While your frustration grew you attempted to push it aside, hoping to talk to him without arguing.

"You're not even listening now." You sighed.

He turned his attention back to you, giving you a confused look.

"I am, but I really need to go, I'm sure whatever it is we need to talk about can wait a few more hours."

He moved in the direction of the elevator, but your patience had worn thin, held together by a fragile string that threatened to snap at any minute. You stepped in front of him, blocking his path.

"I've been trying to tell you for two weeks! Can you stop running to Chloe like a dog with a treat and just listen to me!" You snapped.

Lucifer frowned at your sudden outburst.

"Don't you think you're overreacting just a bit darling? You're making it seem as though I've been neglecting you." He scoffed.

"You are."