1 | Starring Role

Have you ever had the starring role in a play...a solo in a recital? All eyes on you...waiting for you to do what they came to see. Feeling the incredible pressure to perform. There was a time when they used to call operating rooms an operating theater. It still feels like one. Scores of people get ready for the show. The sets are arranged. There are costumes...masks...props. Everything has to be rehearsed...choreographed...all leading to the moment when the curtain goes up. You know what they say about Carnegie hall? There's only one way to get there.

"Practice, practice, practice until it is perfect, people." Owen announced to the operating room full of surgeons, "This is a long, complex procedure with many parts. Therefore many opportunities for error. So we're gonna go over this again. Team leaders, let's get in place."

"All right, Green team, over here, please." Derek led his team to the other side of the table while I stayed with my team, red.

"Let's go, red," Arizona called us over.

"We've offered this family every pro bono dollar, every surgical hand, every resource this hospital has." Owen reminded us, "So I'm asking you for every resource that you have. Be sharp, be present, be focused. Dr. Robbins has been caring for these children since the day they were born. They will each get a new life today. Our actions will decide what kind of lives they will be." Owen reached down and removed the sheet from the two 'conjoined' baby dolls, "Let's begin."

The teams were divided somewhat evenly, with each surgeon wearing a headband of the colour team they were on. I had never seen so many surgeons in the same room for one surgery, and the best part was, everyone had a job. Of course, lots of surgeons in the room were just watching, like Meredith and Cristina. "Flaps are inset and viable," Mark concluded.

Owen nodded, "We are looking at at least eighteen hours, so come and go if you need to, hydrate, eat, but be here at least thirty minutes before your procedures."

"All right. Next up, general surgery." Arizona announced as she and a few other general surgeons stepped up to the table, "First we need to establish each baby's blood supply to the shared colon."

"Then we separate the colon, making the first incision-" the surgeon across from Arizona said.

"I will make the first incision." Arizona made it very clear, "We'll separate the colon."

The surgeon nodded, "Okay, and now I'm checking the displaced kidneys-"

"To make sure they're intact and functioning." Arizona finished.

The surgeon looked up at her, "Uh, that's implied."

Arizona gave him a death glare, obviously very particular about this surgery, "I don't care. Say it."
"Checking the kidneys to make sure they're intact and functioning." the surgeon sighed.

"Man, she's wound up tight," Webber whispered.

Alex turned to look at him, "Thought you were off work today."

"I won't see another one of these in my lifetime." Webber told us, "You're doing the flip, right Karev, with Robbins?"

Alex nodded, "Mm-hmm."

"The flip's a critical part. You ready?"

"Yes, sir," Alex assured him.

"You forgot to cauterize." Arizona barked at the other surgeon, "You want this baby to bleed out?"

"Do I-" he stuttered, "No, I-"

Arizona nodded, "Yeah, I should think not."

"Look, I know this procedure is her baby, but she keeps nitpicking everybody, she'll destroy their confidence." Webber said, making a good point, "Don't let her do that to you."

"Oh, no, Sir." Alex kept watching the procedure.

I turned to him, "I'll try my best."

Webber nodded, "Good, because if this flip goes wrong, she's gonna blame you. It'll go on your record, and-and boards coming up...it's not gonna look good. Glad it's not me."

"Okay, it's time to flip them." Arizona turned to Alex.

"Karev, you're up," Derek instructed.

Everyone started to shuffle around as people moved away from the table and Alex stepped up to it. "Ready?"
Arizona stared at Alex.

Alex paused a moment as he looked back at Dr. Webber, "Yeah."

Once the flip had begun, there was no going back. "Karev, you rushed it. You're like two steps ahead of me." Arizona huffed.

"No, you over me." Alex argued, "Yours over mine, everything's fine. Mine over yours, babies in the morgue. That's how it works."

"That's your pneumonic device?" Arizona questioned.

Owen sighed, "Great. Now Brandi's wounds are exposed, and little Andi's gone without oxygen for a whole minute."

"Okay, I-" Arizona held a hand up, "Can we start over?"

Owen shook his head, "No, there's no time. Let's just finish this practice and try the flip again. Next."

"Neuro," Derek called.

Callie walked over, "Ortho."

Derek stepped up to the table, "Okay, we will access and separate the conjoined spinal canal."

"Separate the bony elements of the spine." Callie agreed.

"Well, that was a train wreck." Meredith told Alex when he came to stand near us again, "You nearly killed both dolls."

"Look, I have it. I know it." Alex assured us, "If only freakin' Robbins would trust me to do it."

Meredith looked to him and whispered, "Doll killer."

"Meredith Grey." Bailey called as she entered the O.R., "Okay, come with me. O.R. two. Right away."

Meredith sighed and followed Bailey out. Shifting my weight to my left leg, I glanced up at the clock. This was going to be a very long surgery, and this wasn't even the real one yet.