75 | Trick or Treat

"Is my face fixed?" Victor asked as he stared at us from his bed in the I.C.U.

"Not quite yet." Jackson told him, "Our first priority was repairing your injured carotid, which was damaged when you were attacked."

Victor's eyes widened, "Oh, God. The zombie...where is he? He's...he's in a quarantine? Is that where this is? I...I've been quarantined, haven't I? Oh, God, I knew it. I saw this thing on cable about these rituals in Haiti, and I thought they were all crap, but you've got me quarantined."

"Except you're not quarantined." Jackson tried to explain, "This is the I.C.U."

Victor ignored him, "Which means...you wouldn't tell me the truth anyway. They've got you on a gag order, don't they? Because that's what they do...the C.D.C....they-they don't want you to tell me the truth."

"Hey, Victor!" April tried to calm him down, "Victor, hey! Listen to me! Victor, you are not under quarantine. You are in the I.C.U, which is where we take patients after surgery. You were attacked by a normal guy who took a bunch of drugs, lost his mind, and attacked you. He didn't die when he was shot because he's got a condition called situs inversus, which put his heart on the opposite side of his chest."

"That's...that's random," Victor said, wide-eyed.

I nodded, "Yeah, completely random, and also not in the least bit supernatural. And really, honestly, when you think about it, isn't that, like, a hundred times scarier than some...zombie apocalypse?"

"Yeah." Victor agreed, "Yeah, okay, I guess it is."

Smiling, we exited the room. "See?" April turned to Jackson, "Someone starts spinning out, you just shut it down. But, you know, you can still tell him he's pretty, if you want to."

Jackson pushed us away lightly and the two of us walked off. "Very well handled, Dr. Kepner." I smiled.

══════════════════

As I moved up the walkway to Alex's house where Meredith's party was being held, Cristina walked past me, going the opposite direction. "Hey." I stopped her, "You leaving?"

"I was never here," she answered before turning and getting into her car.

Shrugging, I opened the front door and walked in. "Ellie." Meredith waved me over to the living room which I hadn't seen since I had lived here, "Glad you could make it."

"Ah, some extra hands are never bad when there are kids. Plus, I need to get used to this." I admired baby Bailey's cute pumpkin costume before leaning down and waving at Zola and Sofia, "Why, hello there. I'm not sure we've officially met. My name is Ellie."

"Who's ready to go trick-or-treating?" Arizona asked as the kids smiled.

Callie picked up Sofia, who was dressed up as a space princess. "Who's ready for blast-off?" she laughed.

Zipping my coat up, we all headed out the door and down the street. I first thought that there was no way I could be a mother and that I would hate it, but as I looked around at my friends who all smiled down at their children, I thought something else. I thought that I couldn't wait to move onto the next chapter of my life.

Halloween is not for the faint of heart. There's a surprise around every corner. And some of the surprises are bad. What's important is that you can't let the fear of the surprise stop you from getting dressed up...and wandering up to a stranger's house to ask the question. So what'll it be...trick...or treat?