15 | The Grey/Forrest Method

"Do not touch that patient!" Mark burst into the O.R. just as we got Neil on the table.

Bailey turned to face him, "Oh, Dr. Sloan, if-if you would just let us do our jobs-"

"I'm doing my job, Dr. Bailey." Mark interrupted, "And today my job is to be the Chief of Surgery, and as the Chief of Surgery, I told you not to perform this procedure. So do not touch him. Take him back to his room. Put him back on the transplant list."

Neil looked up at us as Mark stomped out of the O.R., "See? I told you this would never work."

We waited in the O.R. for a little while longer, and a good thing too, because minutes later Mark came back in telling us to continue. I knew that if someone could reason with Mark, it would be Webber.

"Out with the bad." Webber picked up his bowl of organs after entering our O.R., "And in with the new."

After Bailey, Meredith, and I took out all of Neil's bad organs, we got ready to place in the new ones. "On the count of three." Webber instructed, "One, two...careful...and three."

On three we picked up the new organs from the bowl and placed them inside Neil's body. "Easy. Watch the clamps." Webber warned.

"I have the clamps." Meredith said, "I got 'em."

"All right." Bailey sighed, "Easy, easy, girl."

I tried my best not to let the wet organs slip from my hands, "Okay."

Once the organs were safely inside the body, we all took a deep breath and smiled. After that, the surgery went smoothly and once we were done, we took a break before going back to check on Neil.

══════════════════

"Hi, Neil." Meredith and I looked down from the machines to see Neil's eyes open.

Neil looked up at us, "Am-am I..."

"Alive?" Meredith smiled, "I'm afraid so."

Neil looked around the room with a confused look on his face, "Where is everybody?"

"You didn't tell anyone you were having surgery." I reminded him.

"They didn't call just to check up on me?" he asked.

I sighed, "You told them not to...several times."

Neil's face fell, "What does that matter? They're my family. They should know not to listen to me. I could've died. They should've come. I can't believe that they didn't come."

"Well, let's call them." I suggested, "Should we call them?"

Neil nodded, "Yeah."

"Okay." Meredith and I told him.

Minutes later I got on the phone with all of Neil's family members and they all arrived as soon as they could. I smiled at the sight of them together. I remember him telling me that we're all alone in the world, and the only thing I thought was just how wrong he was.

══════════════════

"So do you know why we brought you all here this morning?" Meredith asked Alex, April, and Jackson as we gathered in the living room of the house, "To help you, because even though we all take the boards alone, if we work together, we can all pass."

Nodding, I handed each of them a marker, "If you're not at the hospital, you're here. You sleep here, you eat here. There are no distractions, no breaks. This is the Grey/Forrest method, and it starts now."

Just as we were about to start, the doorbell rang. Meredith left to answer the door and came back seconds later with Cristina. "Welcome." I smiled as she too sat down with a marker that Meredith gave her, "Who's ready to study?"