22 | Meanwhile in Seattle

As soon as the plane landed back in Seattle, it felt like seconds later I was running through the doors of Seattle Grace again. Everything was moving so quickly as I ran onto the elevator and rode it up to the floor that my sister had texted me they were on. "Skylar!" I screamed as the elevator doors opened and I frantically looked for them in every room.

"Ellie." Skylar stepped out of a room and I ran to her, "In here."

"Mom." I slowed down for the first time in hours and stared at my mom in the hospital bed.

She looked up at me, "E-Ellie, my dear. What on earth are you doing here? What about your boards?"

I walked over and pulled her in for a hug, "The boards can wait. I needed to come see you. What's wrong?"

"Heart failure." she answered, "I'm going into surgery in the morning. Now, please darling, get back on a plane to San Francisco and go become a surgeon."

I shook my head I wiped a few tears away, "No, mom. I'm staying until after your surgery."

My mom turned to my dad, "Paul, talk some sense into her, will you?"

"Ellie, your mother and I spent good money getting you through all of that medical school." my father told me, "Now go make us proud and become a surgeon."

"I need to be here." I told them, "I need to make sure mom gets the best treatment and-and she-"

"Ellie?" I heard Arizona's voice, "Not you too! First Alex is back and now you. Is anyone actually taking the boards?"

I turned around to see what looked like Arizona and Alex on their way back from a surgery. "My mom is sick. Heart failure. I had to come." I explained.

══════════════════

I waited in that room for a long time, hours even as the sun set and the room became dark. My dad and sister had both gone home to get some sleep, but I wasn't going anywhere; so here I sat in a chair next to my sick, sleeping mother's bed. As my phone went off, I answered it, "Hello?"

"Ellie!" Cristina barked, "Where are you?"

"I-in Seattle with my mom," I told her.

I could practically hear the steam coming off of Cristina. "If you miss the boards, I will kill you!"

"My mom is sick, Cristina," I explained.

"Kill you!" she shouted before hanging up.

"Forrest." I heard Owen. Turning around to face the doorway, he walked inside. "Why are you here? Wh-" he looked to my mother, "Is this your mother?"

I nodded, "Yes, Sir. And I'm sorry to disappoint you but I had to be here."

Just then, the monitors went off. My eyes widened as I spun around. "What's happening?" I asked, sounding like another clueless family member.

I felt my body go almost numb as Owen rushed in along with a bunch of nurses. They checked some stuff as they tried to talk to me, but I couldn't form words in order to answer. Instead, I sat there like an ignorant child as they wheeled my mother out of the room and into surgery.

I sat there long after she was gone, just focusing on my breathing. Finally, I stood up and went somewhere I knew I could be alone. The hospital was busy, so the on-call rooms would be empty. Pushing one of the doors open, I managed to pick the one room with someone in it. "Hey!" a voice that I recognized yelled.

"It's just me, Alex." I sighed as I walked in and closed the door behind me.

Alex sat up from the bed he was sleeping in as I sat on the edge, "Just because I know you doesn't mean I want you in here."

"Oh, shut up for a minute, will you?" I snapped, "My mother just got taken into emergency surgery and I sat there like a lost child as she got weaker."

"I just had to take Morgan's baby off of life support." Alex told me, "There was nothing more we could do to keep him alive."

"That sucks." I exhaled, "What are we doing?"

Alex turned to me, "What do you mean?"

"Why are we here, when we should be getting ready to take the boards in the morning." I looked at him, "Eight years of medical school and five years of residency for what? For us to sit in this dark on-call room and...oh my, God. Callie is going to kill me. She-she gave me the Torres method and I'm sitting here with you!"

Alex reached over and slapped me lightly, "Now it's your turn to shut up."

Falling silent, I crossed my legs and turned my whole body to face Alex. "I'm pretty sure Jackson cheated on me." I blurted out of nowhere, "Pretty sure as in I have no proof but I have this feeling inside of me that's eating me alive. Every time I look at him I just think how he's lying to me."

Alex huffed, "Do we really have to talk about feelings?"

"Oh, sorry." I apologized, "No, we don't have to talk."

"Didn't he cheat on you with Lexie?" Alex asked.

"Yup." I sighed, "When will I learn?"

"That was a scumbag thing of him to do." Alex told me, "I mean, assuming he actually did it a second time."
I nodded, "Right!"

One second Alex and I were sitting in silence, staring at each other; the next, his lips were on mine. It was a forceful kiss, but I needed forceful right now. None of that soft, loving bullshit. Reaching out and wasting no time, I pulled Alex's shirt over his head and ran my hands down his chest. Moments later, my shirt joined his on the floor as he started to untie the sweatpants I was wearing.

"Mm." I moaned as he started to kiss my neck, "Yes...Alex..."

Wrapping one of his arms around my back, he flipped me so he was on top of me. "You sure you're okay with this?" he breathed.

"Since when does Alex Karev ask permission?" I smirked.

Alex replied to my question with a bite on my neck before he started to unhook my bra. "Fuck the boards." Alex laughed as he started to take his pants off, "I'm getting laid tonight."