62 | When Bad Things Come

Getting these bars out of Leon was going to be trickier than we thought. Even though there was no major internal damage; there could be if we moved these bars even the slightest bit in the wrong way. The rough edges made it almost impossible to remove them without shredding his insides even more than they already were, and we still hadn't found a way to cut them down.

"The metal's laying on two major vessels." April said as her, Owen, and I stared at the scans on the computer screen in the O.R., "They'll shred if we try and pull the entire bar through."

Owen nodded, "You're right. But I'm damned if I know how to do it, though."

"Can we take out the oxygen tanks?" Leah asked.

Ben sighed, "Well, the tanks, yes, but there are 02 outputs in the floor, there and there. I say we take him down to a patient room, do it there."

A few heads nodded. "He's already under anesthesia, and he's too unstable to move," Knox told us.

"All right, all right. How about this?" Ben tried to come up with another idea, "Get all additional oxygen tanks out. I manually hyperventilate him, get him on one-hundred percent 02, and then I shut off the vent. You cut." he pointed to the construction worker that we had brought up, "When he runs out of air, you stop, I hyperventilate him again."

"That'll take forever." Meredith shook her head.

"And it's still risky," Owen added, " but...it's our best shot. All right. Just give me the grinder and you can go."

The worker handed over the grinder. "All right, Knox, you can go, too." Ben told him, "I got this."

"This is dangerous work, people. So everybody out." Owen ordered.

"I'll stay." Callie volunteered, "You'll need someone to hold the bar steady while you cut."

I raised my hand slightly, "You're gonna want another hand on that bar just in case."

"And you'll need me to irrigate the metal." April added herself, "The grinder will heat up and could burn through the vessels."

Owen nodded, "That's...very good thinking."

"There may be liver damage," Meredith said.

Owen shook his finger at her, "No, Grey, not you. You go."

"Because I'm pregnant?" Meredith asked and pointed to Callie, "She has a kid."

"She didn't bring hers to the O.R. with her today," Ben said.

Callie nodded in agreement, "He's got a point, Grey. You should go."

Meredith crossed her arms, "Ellie's pregnant, too."

I turned to her, "Meredith!"

"What?" everyone asked.

Owen sighed, "There's no time for this. Grey. Forrest. Go. That's an order."

Huffing, Meredith and I exited the O.R. and walked down the hall. "Hey, what's going on?" Derek walked out of another O.R., "Why am I being kicked out of my O.R.?"

"Owen Hunt just kicked us out of our O.R." Meredith told him, "For being pregnant."

"He what?" Derek asked before looking to me, "You're pregnant?"

I covered my face with my hands, "Is everyone going to find out today?"

"Well, there was a chance that it could explode, and it's...it is incredibly dangerous," Meredith explained.

"Oh, well, I'm on board with that, then." Derek told us, "Check with Karev. He brought in a friend with a brain bleed. Guy was beaten half to death. Jason Myers from O.B."

Meredith and I looked to one another before taking off. "It's not his friend," Meredith called back to Derek as we ran down the hall.

"These are today's scans?" we heard Cristina asked Stephanie as we entered the scan room.

Stephanie nodded, "With smaller cuts, like you asked."

"Wait. What is that?" Cristina stepped closer.

"We have a problem," Meredith told Cristina.

Cristina sighed, "Mer, check out this hyperdensity. Is that something or just noise on the film?"

We both took a quick look. "That looks real to me." Meredith answered, "It's Alex."

Cristina turned to look at us. "Get a C.T. angio and find me. I want to look at those vessels," she told Stephanie before leaving with Meredith and me.

══════════════════

"I said fight the guy. I didn't mean fight the guy." Cristina scolded Alex once we found him.

"Alex, this kind of stuff was okay when we first met you, but now?" Meredith asked.

Cristina nodded, "Now you're supposed to be less stupid. I mean, you could go to jail, your whole career-"

"Look, I'm not going to jail." Alex sat down as we yelled at him in the lounge, "He was like that when I found him."

I raised my eyebrows at him, "That's your story?"

"No cop is gonna believe you." Cristina threw her arms to her side.

Meredith looked Alex right in the eyes, "Alex, it's us. Just tell us."

"I didn't do anything," Alex said again as Jo entered the room.

"He didn't do it." Jo said, a grey sweater on and a bruised face, "He just found him. I did it. We were having a fight. He-he grabbed my arm. I fought him off. It just...it got ugly. He fell backward and he hit his head on the fireplace, but he was still yelling when I left. He was fine. I swear."

Alex stood up and walked towards her, "All right, you gotta go. Go."

"Uh, no, she has to explain to them what happened," Cristina spoke up.

"No, nobody does anything until we see how Peckwell is." Alex disagreed and turned back to Jo, "Look, go home. Don't let anyone see you. You three don't say a word to anybody until we know exactly what's going on. Understand?"

Just then Stephanie walked in. "Hey." she turned to Jo and saw her face, "Are you okay?"

"She's okay." Cristina walked over to Stephanie, "You never saw her. What?"

Stephanie handed over the tablet, "I have Paul Dawson's C.T. angio results."

"Great." Cristina nodded as the two of them left. "Go," Alex told Jo again and she took off seconds later.

"Don't do anything stupid," Meredith told Alex before she left as well; leaving just Alex and me in the room.

I was just about to follow everyone else's lead when Alex grabbed my arm. "How are you?" he asked and I could tell he was trying not to look at my stomach.

"I'm fine." I sighed, "Almost everyone knows now...that I'm pregnant."

"Do they know it's mine?" he questioned.

I shook my head, "Only Meredith and Cristina know that part. I won't...tell anyone if that's what you want. I know a baby isn't what you want so I can just get an abortion and no one ever has to know."

"Abortion?" Alex almost screamed before lowering his voice again, "Who said anything about an abortion?"

"Don't be stupid." I scoffed, "I'm thinking about it. Like...seriously considering it. I don't want a kid. You don't want a kid. So give me one reason why I shouldn't."

Alex just shook his head as he pushed passed me and left the room. After that, I headed down to the E.R. to get my mind off of my personal life for a little while.

Once I had done a few sutures, I walked back down the hall to see Alex and Cristina gathered around Meredith as she sat on a gurney. "Did they run a C.B.C. and a K.B. stain?" Alex asked her.

Meredith nodded, "Yes, they ran all the tests. The baby is fine."

"Yeah, well, what about you?" Cristina questioned, "I mean, why did you fall? Are you dizzy?"

"I fell because I have the same center of gravity as a Jersey cow." Meredith huffed, "I'm fine, guys."

"Doctors, it's time." a nurse approached us, "It's happening. Come on."

A little confused, I followed the large crowd of people that were heading out to the ambulance bay. As we walked outside, we saw April sitting in the middle of the pavement in a chair while a bunch of people, including the paramedics, danced to the song "I'm Gonna Be" (500 miles) by The Proclaimers.

"What is going on?" Cristina asked. Then, Matthew appeared out of nowhere. "Oh, Matthew!" April gushed as the paramedic, Nicole, pushed the chair around.

"They're everywhere." Meredith smiled at the scene of at least thirty dancers in the ambulance bay. Two men picked April up and carried her over to Matthew where she was put back into the chair. "Who'd have thought Kepner would've found somebody as dorky as she is?" Alex mocked.

"He is like the male Kepner." Meredith chuckled as a table on wheels with a white tablecloth and rose was placed in front of April, "What are the odds?"

Matthew handed the rose to April and seconds later the song ended. Everyone started to cheer and laugh. "Oh, my God." April smiled.

"Uh, April, I know that this seems crazy..." Matthew began.

April nodded, "This is totally crazy. What?"

"And to some, sudden. But when I know something, I know it." he added, "When I first saw you standing in this doorway...I felt a shock. And, uh, and I thought...this is the most beautiful person that I've ever seen. And then I thought...yeah, well, no, I-I knew...that I was gonna fall in love with you."

"Oh, God." April started to cry.

"And I have never been so happy knowing anything in my entire life." Nicole handed Matthew a little box and he got down on one knee, "April Kepner...I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life trying to make you as happy as you make me...if you'll let me. Will you marry me?"

Everyone awed as Matthew opened the box. "Yes." April smiled wider than I had ever seen her smile before, "Yes."

All the dancers cheered and threw pink and red confetti in the air. April and Matthew kissed and more cheering started.

Just as things got good, the storm came rushing in that night and everyone was on their toes. Patients were discharged, Jason woke up and wanted to press charges. It was chaos.

We try to be safe. We try so hard to protect ourselves, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. 'Cause when the bad things come, they come out of nowhere.