59 | Illusion

There's no such thing as magic...as far as we know. And while, as surgeons, we study the secrets behind the human body's intricate network of cells, tissues, and organs, when things go wrong...horribly, horribly wrong...there are only so many tricks we have up our sleeves to put a body back together.

My butt felt numb as I sat on the cold tile floor of my bathroom. All lined up, they just mocked me; five positive pregnancy tests. The sound of my pager going off made my body jolt; as I had been up all night and was pretty tired. Grabbing one of the pregnancy tests, I shoved it into my bag before changing and heading off to work.

My mind was going to be on something other than saving lives today.

══════════════════

"I'm here." I announced as I caught up with Meredith, Ross, Callie, and Webber as they approached the elevator, "What have we got?"

"Chainsaw to the abdomen." Callie looked at me.

"I paged Bailey." Meredith huffed.

Webber pressed the elevator button, "Yeah, and I have Bailey's patients."

"What?" Callie asked as she stayed off of the elevator, "Still? But she's infection-free. Uh, clear to operate. Okay, well, page me when she's stable enough for X-Rays."

"How is she still alive?" Meredith questioned as the elevator doors slid closed, staring down at the patient who was nearly sawed in half.

Webber looked up, "I have no idea."

══════════════════

"The kidney's shredded. There's nothing to salvage here." Webber said as he held the kidney is his hands. We were well into the operation and things were not looking good.

"And here is part of the large intestine." Meredith commented, "I don't know where this bleeding is coming from. I mean, there's too much. Where is it all coming from? Ross, ligaclip."

I sighed as I removed the blood that continued to spill out from God knows where. "There are even chain saw cuts on her vertebrae."

"Ross, get your hands in there if you have to and scoop out the clots," Webber instructed.

"pH is 6.9 and temp is 96.7." the anesthesiologist, Knox, informed us.

Meredith huffed, "It's too much. We have to pack her."

"I, uh, I just took a look at the films you did." Callie entered the O.R., covering her mouth with a mask, "I'll need to plate the fracture as soon as she's stable. Oh. If she's ever stable."

"Okay, we're doing damage control," Webber told her.

Callie nodded, "Got it. Um, oh, I went to see Bailey, and she didn't say a word."

"Dr. Webber, has she spoken to you?" Meredith asked.

"Right now my attention is on this patient, who's headed for a metabolic collapse," Webber said.

"Okay." Callie replied before she left, "Just let me know when you need me."

Webber sighed, "Ross, faster. The sooner we get her to I.C.U., the better chance she'll have."

══════════════════

"She's too unstable." Webber explained to the woman's co-worker and husband, who were both dressed in sparkling red for the act that they performed, "We want to let her body rest before we take her back to surgery."

"But we're not gonna lose her?" the husband, Danny, asked as he fiddled with a deck of cards in his hands, "I-I can't lose her."

"You shoulda thought of that before you added a chain saw to the trick." the other woman, Cherise, scoffed.
Danny turned to her, "Illusion! And I only added the chain saw to try to get us better gigs."

"Your chain saw drowned us out when the trap door got stuck," Cherise argued.

Danny held his hand up, "Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba. Magician's code."

Cherise huffed, "Oh my, God. Really?"

"Okay, well, we'll let you know when she's ready to go back into surgery," Meredith told them.

As we exited the I.C.U. room, Meredith pulled me aside. "So, how did last night go?" she asked.
I swallowed hard, "Not...not too good." I pulled out the pregnancy test that I had moved from my purse to my pocket.

Meredith grabbed it and her mouth fell open. "So much for rubbing it in your face that they're negative." I faked a smile.

She handed the test back and looked at me, "So, who's is it? Jackson?"

"No." I shook my head.

Meredith raised an eyebrow, "Then who?"

"Uh..." I shifted my gaze to the floor, "A...Al...it's Alex's. I mean, I'm pretty sure at least because I haven't had sex in a few weeks but he was the last one. I haven't had sex with Jackson in months so there's no way, right? I mean, if I'm just finding out now, there's no way."

Meredith's eyes widened, "Alex?"

"Alex what?" Cristina walked over.

"Ellie is pregnant with Alex's kid," Meredith told her like it was nothing.

Cristina's head whipped towards me, "What?!"

"Hey!" I almost shouted, "We don't need to be spreading this around like it's gossip. The fewer people know, the better."

As the three of us turned and headed to the main desk, we ran into the man himself. "Aw. Someone's got his bummer face on." Cristina mocked Alex. She was really good at pretending that everything was fine.

"Everywhere I turn, she's there," Alex whispered.

"I've gotta go." I spun on my heel faster than a professional dancer and took off in the opposite direction.

Although, I didn't get very far before I was paged 911 to the chain saw girl, Kayla's room. "What happened?" I asked as I ran in, Meredith not far behind.

"Abdominal compartment syndrome." Webber informed us, "Ross?"

"She's distended and hemorrhaging, causing her intra-abdominal pressure to skyrocket," Ross said.

Webber looked to the monitor, "We have to get her back to the O.R., stat."

"Kayla, honey, I'm so sorry." Cherise leaned over the bed, "I'm so, so sorry."

"Ma'am, I'm gonna need the two of you to please step out now," I told her.

"Cherise, come on." Danny started to leave.

"Just don't let her die." Cherise begged, "Please save her."

Ross turned to her, "Ma'am."

"Please step outside. Please." Meredith looked to her.

"Cherise, now." Danny grabbed her arm, "Come on, Cherise."

"Get your hands off of me, Danny!" Cherise pushed him away.

Danny snapped, "Cherise, I'm her husband, okay? I know. I get it! I get it!"

"You don't know anything, Danny." Cherise yelled, "We're in love. Which you would've figured out by now if you paid her any attention. She wanted to leave you, but I told her to stay till you got your freakin' dream of having a show in Vegas. I didn't listen to Kayla when she said she was dying in the marriage, dying in the stupid costume, dying every time you made her get into that stupid box."

"Okay." Meredith stopped the yelling, "We're on the move."

With that, the four of us rolled the bed out of the I.C.U. and towards the elevators, so we could get Kayla back into surgery.