38 | All Good Things Come to an End

"Chief, where do you need us?" Jackson asked as we walked into the E.R. ready for business.

"Just a second, Avery," Owen told us as he tended to some man.

Shane looked around the room which was full of people, "Guess Dr. Bailey beat us to the fun."

"Dr. Bailey's here?" Owen asked.

"She and Dr. Grey are working on Adele Webber in O.R. one." a nurse said.

Dr. Webber's wife?" April gasped, "Should we-"

Owen turned to her, "You have a degloving injury in trauma one. Take care of your patient. Let Bailey and Grey take care of theirs.

Nodding, we took off. The man winced as Jackson removed the bandage covering his hand, which had skin ripped off all the way up the arm. "How's Gasoline and The Hammer?" he asked us.

Shane turned to him, "These are people?"

"Yeah. Those are their road names," he replied in pain.

"You get to pick your road names, and you went with Stuart?" Jackson asked our patient who went by Stuart.

"I'm not officially in the club." Stuart told us, "They let me hang around, ride along with them. It has been the greatest time of my entire life. And I ruined it. That crash was my fault. My sister was right. I had no business being on that bike."

"I think your arm would agree," April said.

Stephanie smiled, "I don't know. I think guys on motorcycles are hot."

Jackson shot her a look, "All right, Stuart, your injuries are extensive, but I do think it's possible we can salvage your hand. We're just gonna get you up to the O.R. and debride your arm. Edwards, you're with me." April looked to him, "Un-unless you'd rather I took Dr. Ross."

April chuckled, "Are you kidding? No. Sh-Shane's my guy."

I spent the rest of the day fixing up other bikers in the E.R. and doing surgeries. By the time that we were all finally done, night had fallen. However, the wedding was still going to happen. So once everyone had changed back into their dresses and suits, and re-did their makeup and hair, we all went back to the venue.

"Then by the power vested in me by the state of Washington, I now pronounce you husband and wife." the minister said as one of the groomsmen placed a broom at the bottom of the staircase for jumping the broom, a wedding tradition, Bailey and Ben held hands as they jumped over the broom.

Everyone stood up and clapped, smiling and laughing as they did so. Ben and Bailey kissed each other and I smiled wide. Someday I hoped to find that sort of happiness in my life.

Everyone clinked their forks against their glasses as we sat at tables for the reception. Bailey and Ben, who stood at the front of the room, shared another kiss and everyone cheered. Bailey turned to Callie and Arizona as they walked in late, "I hope whatever you were doing was worth it, 'cause you're a terrible maid of honor."

"What did I miss?" Meredith sat down with us.

"Oh, pretty much everything," I told her.

Callie smiled, "And Bailey calling me her maid of honor.

After a few glasses of wine, the DJ stepped up, "All right, where's our bride and groom? Everybody's been waiting a while for this dance. Ladies and gentlemen, let's give it up for the newlyweds!"

More cheering commenced as Bailey and Ben started to dance. Spotting Webber, I walked over to him as he stood with Meredith. "You're here?" Meredith asked as Webber looked to her, his face saying something was wrong, "No. When?"

Webber began to shed tears, "A little while ago."

"What happened?" I asked.

"It was a heart attack." he answered, "The surgery fixed the aneurysm, but...it was too much for her heart."

Tears begin to well in my eyes as well as Meredith's. "I-I shouldn't have-" Meredith started.

"No." Webber stopped her, "You did everything right. Everything."

The three of us stood, with tears in our eyes, watching as Bailey and Ben danced; as happy as could be. As their marriage was starting, Webber's had just ended. I guess all good things do come to an end.