54 | Fun

"And the baby's out." the O.B. resident and Jo's boyfriend, Jason Myers, announced as he pulled the baby from Elyse's body on the table.

"I noticed you haven't thanked me yet for catching your patient's prolapsed cord." Alex stood behind me with a towel to take the baby.

Jason sighed, "I was on my way to the E.R."

"Yeah, taking your own sweet time." Alex retorted as he took the baby.

"You want to cool it, man?" Jason asked, "You're being very unprofessional."

"Okay, let's begin to explore the abdomen." April said, changing the subject and drawing our attention back to the surgery, "Oh, God, Elyse. She's losing too much blood."

"More lap pads." I turned to face one of the nurses as blood began to leak into the cavity, "Now!"

Once the surgery was done and we managed to get Elyse out of there alive, April and I put her into the I.C.U. and waited an hour or so into the night before going to check on her. "You and me, Elyse, we're a team." we heard a man, Elyse's husband probably, say as we stood by the doorway to the room, "Ever since professor Sheldon paired us up in that stupid poli-sci class. I don't work without you. So you can't leave me or us. We're supposed to be together."

The man, Vince I thought his name was, glanced up at us as Elyse remained unconscious. "Elyse likes the name Rose for the baby." he told us, "What do you think?"

"I think it's beautiful." April smiled.

I nodded in agreement, "Gorgeous name."

Vince nodded and looked down at his wife, "Okay, honey. Rosie, it is. I'm gonna go down and see her. I love you."

Vince placed a kiss on Elyse's forehead before leaving. Just then, Jackson walked in and it looked like him and April wanted to talk. "I'm gonna go." I sheepishly smiled as I backed out of the room.

A few minutes later as I walked down the hall, I got a 911 call from Elyse's room. Turning on my heel, I ran back the way I came. Just before entering the room, April caught up with me. "What happened?" April asked as we both put our gloves on.

"I was doing my exam, and she started bleeding from her incisions and her I.V. sites, and then she dropped into V-Fib." Jackson gave Elyse C.P.R. as nurses swarmed the room, "We just shocked her once."

"I'll take over." April took the paddles from the nurse, "Charge to one-fifty."

"Push another epi," I told the nurse.

April leaned down and placed the paddles on Elyse's chest. "Clear." she called as she shocked Elyse before looking up to the screen that showed no change, "No. No, no, no, no, no. Come on."

"Give me two-hundred," Jackson ordered.

"Clear!" April called again as she shocked her. When no change occurred, she tried again, determined to save this patient, "Clear! Come on, Elyse!"

When the monitor still showed no signs of change or even much life, April began to panic, "Push five of epi."

"April," Jackson warned.

"Epi now!" April ignored him.

I pressed my fingers to Elyse's neck, "April, we lost her. Okay?"

April shook her head as she placed the paddles down, fighting back tears as she ran from the room. The nurses began to clean up as I called the time of death. The sun began to rise before I knew it and I worked all through the day with new traumas and helping out with the victims of the gas tanker accident that had come in the days before.

Twenty-four hours can go by quickly when you're in a hospital, and especially when you're in an O.R. With no windows, it's kind of like a casino. The watch on my arm is usually the only way I know what time it is; or even what day for that matter.

Sighing, I changed from my scrubs to end the day and headed out to my car. "Ellie!" I heard someone yell and turned around to see Alex stumbling across the street towards me from Joe's bar.

"You look so drunk." I chuckled as walked up next to me. Looking closer, I noticed that he didn't look very happy. "What's wrong with you?" I asked.

"N-Nothing." he slurred.

I shook my head, "You know, it's not very responsible for a surgeon to be getting shit face drunk every night."

"What I do with my time affects no one but me." he waved his hand dismissively.

I scoffed, "Sure. Come back to me in twenty years when you've been fired for botching a poor child's surgery because you performed drunk."

"Shut up." Alex stepped closer. Backing up until my back touched my car, Alex placed his arms on either side of my body and smiled, "Wanna go back to your place and get something to drink?"

"We both know what happened last time you came over. And drinks were not what we had." I reminded him, "Alex, what are we doing? I know we slept together that one time during the boards when we both came back to Seattle, but...I thought we were friends."

"We are friends." he seemed to miraculously sober up, "Friends with benefits."

I sighed, "I don't want to be that girl."

Alex brought his head closer, pushed my hair away from my neck, and placed soft kisses on my skin, "But it's really fun. Isn't it? Lot's of sex and no stupid tied down relationship." he moved back and looked me in the eyes, "I know what Jackson did to you. Twice in a row, he cheated on you and don't even get me started on my girlfriends. This is easy and fun. Don't we deserve some fun?"