57 | Six Against One

"We are throwing Bailey under the bus," Derek said as we sat in the Attendings' lounge the next morning.

"Come on. That's not what we're doing." Jackson poured himself a cup of coffee.

Callie glanced up, "No, it seems like that's exactly what we're doing."

Jackson turned to face us, "Two of our patients are dead of the same post-op infection. A third one's barely hanging on. It was time. We get the C.D.C. in here and figure this thing out."

"By treating Bailey like a criminal?" Meredith asked, "She hasn't done anything."

I nodded in agreement, "Yeah. We're blaming her for a pretty big problem here."

"I hope that you're right." Jackson looked to Meredith, "Truth is, we don't know that yet. C.D.C. is simply asking us to temporarily freeze Bailey's files."

Derek shook his head, his arms crossed, "Oh, come on."

"And that we not discuss this investigation with her." Jackson added, "So today, just keep your distance."

"That is ridiculous," Cristina said.

"Also I think now's the time to put out a statement." Jackson continued.

"No," we said in unison.

Arizona held her hands up, "Whoa. Whoa. About what? I mean, we don't even know if Bailey's the source of this thing."

"If one of ours is at fault and we just sit on this information, we look like we're trying to cover something up." Jackson told us, "The only way to let the public know that we can be objective is by being transparent."

"Vote?" Callie looked around the room.

"I'm just saying, people should learn the news from us." Jackson sighed.

Derek shook his head, "There's no news."

"Okay, vote?" Callie asked again.

Jackson picked up his coffee mug, "There's no news yet."

"Vote. All in favour of no press release." Callie said and everyone but Jackson raised their hand.

Callie nodded, "Okay, no press release. No statement. Clear?"

Jackson just rolled his eyes at us and took a sip of his hot drink.

══════════════════

"Tell me there is someone down here that I can help." Jackson walked up to April and me in the E.R., "It's six against one with the board today, and I need a victory."

"It wouldn't be six against one if you pulled your head out of your ass and started making the right choices." I looked up from my tablet and gave him a sarcastic smile.

"Bed three." Callie walked over, "Femur's broken. I'm sending him up to angio."

April nodded, "Okay."

Callie looked to Jackson before she walked away, "Alert the press."

"See what I mean?" Jackson turned to April again, but she just ignored him, "You all right?"

"Matthew dumped me." April huffed.

"Oh." was all Jackson said in response.

April scowled at Jackson, "Because I lied to him about my virginity like you told me to."

"That's not-" Jackson tried to defend himself.

"I lied because I had something to lie about." April cut him off.

Jackson raised an eyebrow, "April, hold on a second-"

"You took my..." April started but stopped herself, "I shouldn't have let you, but I did, and now he's gone. I'm not board-certified, I'm not a virgin, and everything I care about has been ruined because of you. So you know what? Thank you. Thanks for that."

With that, April stormed off. "Now that's a story for the media." I grinned.

"Seven against one." Jackson sighed.

"Help!" we heard someone shout from the ambulance bay as tires screeched along the pavement, "Yeah, help! We need some help over here!"

Within seconds, April, Jackson, and I threw some gloves on before we walked outside to what looked like a family. They were all wearing the same green shirt that read 'Keller Family Reunion.'

"What happened?" April asked as she rushed over to a woman with a blood-soaked towel wrapped around her right hand.

"God, I'm gonna pass out." the woman responded.

"We lost some fingers." another woman said, "A lot of fingers."

"We-we had a tug-of-war." a man added.

Jackson looked at the severely bleeding hand of a teen girl, "With what, razor wire?"

"Even better." the teen winced, "Clothesline."

"Does anybody have the severed fingers?" I asked.

"Yeah, I got 'em." a man with a grey mustache walked over carrying a cooler, "I got 'em."

April and I opened the cooler as Callie joined us. "Whoa! That's a lot of fingers." April gasped.

"Yeah." the man nodded, "I counted six."

"Oh, no, five." Callie picked something out of the cooler, "This one's a turkey dog."

April scrunched up her face as we entered the E.R. again, "Ew."

Before I got to work on the missing finger family, I was called in to quickly get swabbed for the C.D.C. thing. "Oh, I was expecting probing." Cristina said as the woman stuck a long q-tip just inside her nose, "That's really more of a gentle swabbing."

"Speaking of probing," Meredith turned to Cristina, "I've decided to have the baby naturally, but I know the second I start to scream, Derek is gonna have them pump me full of drugs, so I'm gonna need you there in my corner."

"Yeah. Um, I'm not gonna do that." Cristina said as the woman swabbed my nose, "Uh, when babies come out, people poop on the table."

"Cristina-" Meredith sighed.

Cristina shook her head, "Uh, no."

"Karev." Alex told the woman as he walked in and sat down on the table with us, "And can you make it fast? Peckwell's H.L.H.S. mom is gonna be admitted. We gotta go walk her through the procedure."

"She wants me to watch her give birth," Cristina told Alex.

"You're gonna poop on the table," Alex said.

I nodded, "You can't help it. Pushing a baby out uses the same muscles as taking a crap."

Meredith huffed, "I am not."

"You are." Alex told her, "Almost everybody does."

"Okay, so I poop on the table." Meredith gave in, "It's part of the miracle of life."

Alex scoffed, "It's nasty."

"Did I ask you to watch me give birth." Meredith snapped at Alex, "No. Cristina?"

Cristina looked to Meredith, "We have been friends a long time. You want to know how? By not watching each other poop."

"Holla." Alex nodded.

"I gotta go." I said as I stood up, "A whole family came in with severed fingers due to a freak tug-of-war accident."

"Have fun!" Cristina called after me.