63 | An End to Every Storm

The lights in the hospital flickered every few minutes and you couldn't take one step without running into someone else. The beds were almost full already, and half of the occupants weren't even sick. Turns out people think a hospital is the best place to wait out a storm. And to make things worse...Meredith was going into labor.

Just as I got the page from Cristina about Meredith's baby; the lights went out...and didn't come back on. Making my way down to the lobby, I started to hand out blankets to people when a large bus flipped over right in front of the hospital. People screamed at the loud noise. "Oh, My God." I heard Callie's voice.

The bus slid across the pavement before it stopped and the front burst into flames. "Oh, my God. Fire!" someone screamed as I rushed outside with Callie, April, and a bunch of others.

Before long we had wheelchairs outside bringing everyone from the bus inside. "I smell gas," April said.

"There's a fuel leak somewhere." Matthew nodded.

"We were coming from the church." one man told us, "Trying to wait out the storm. The roof, it caved in on us. We had nowhere else to go."

"We've got to get everyone away from this fire," Owen yelled.

I turned to the group of bus passengers, "All right, if you can walk, let's get you inside! This way!"

"We're gonna need to set up and emergency triage inside." Owen announced, "We're gonna need meds. Bailey, can you handle this?"

Bailey nodded, "Y-yeah. Uh, Murphy!"

"We've gotta move, Hunt." Callie pushed a wheelchair towards the doors, "This thing's gonna blow."

"Avery, hurry up!" Owen called.

Jackson popped up out of the door since the bus was on its side, "I got one more. She's jammed between two seats. Help me get her out."

Owen and I climbed the bus and got inside. "Smell that?" Jackson asked as we joined him inside the bus, "There's gas everywhere."

"I have a daughter. She's three." the woman we were helping told us, "Have-have you seen her? Is she okay?"

"All right, I'm gonna have to wrap this arm to stop the bleeding," Jackson said as he looked down at the woman's arm.

The woman started to cry, "No, no, she's wearing pink high-tops. Her name is Evelyn. I call her Evie."

"Everyone's inside ma'am." Owen assured her, "I'm sure that she's there."

"If we move this thing even an inch, I think we can get her out of here," I said and the two men nodded.

Owen turned back to the flames which kept getting better, "Let's do it fast."

The three of us stood up the best we could and started to pull on the seat. "Good. Good. It's moving." Owen had to yell over the rain, wind, and fire, "Pull her out. Pull her out."

Jackson grabbed the woman, "All right, go, go. I got her."

Owen nodded, "All right, we're gonna walk you out through the door. We're gonna...you're gonna have to walk-"

"No, no, no, no. My leg, my leg." the woman cried, "I can't."

The three of us looked up at the window above us and got the same idea. Jackson grabbed a nearby metal rod and looked to the lady, "Ma'am...I'm gonna need you to cover your eyes, all right? Ready? Here we go."

Owen and I threw our bodies over the woman as Jackson reached up and smashed the glass out. "Stay down." Jackson directed, "All right."

"Move fast." Owen said once we had the woman out of the bus and onto a stretcher, "This thing's a ticking time bomb. Almost there. Done."

Callie, Owen, and I pushed the stretcher back to the hospital. I saw Jackson turn around out of the corner of my eye, but I didn't have time to worry about him right now. "Where's Jackson?" April yelled as she ran out of the hospital.

"Right behind us," Callie answered.

"No, he's not!" April yelled again as I let go of the stretcher and turned around. Jackson was nowhere in sight.

"Can you see him?" Callie asked as we stared at the bus that was completely engulfed in flames by now, "Wait, is that him behind the bus?"

Owen turned around, "Avery! Avery come back here!"

"JACKSON!" I screamed.

The mother we saved looked out at the scene, "Evie!"

Out of nowhere, April started to run towards the bus. Matthew, however, stopped her right before the bus exploded. "Get back!" Matthew panicked as he and April fell to the ground. The mother watched in horror as the flames went up into the sky.

"Jackson!" April cried as she stood up, "Jackson! No! No!"

Then, out of the smoke, Jackson emerged carrying a little girl in his arms. "Evie!" the woman sat up as Jackson handed the girl to her, "Evie! Oh, God, baby. Thank you so much. Thank you."

April started to sob as Matthew hugged her and I wrapped my arms tight around Jackson from the side. "I know you saved a kid, but don't do that again." I breathed out, "You scared us half to death. You scared me."

I followed him inside as Callie sat him down to put his arm in a splint since he had dislocated it or something. "You idiot!" April ran over and shoved Jackson, hurting his arm even more.

"Ow! Don't-" Jackson winced.

Callie stepped in, "Hey!"

"You-you could have died!" April screamed at him.

"Kepner, what is your problem?" Callie pushed her away, "Hey! Kepner, take a walk. Take a walk!"

April started to pant and cry more and she turned around and ran right past Matthew. Sighing, I decided it was time for me to leave as well so I headed out of the E.R. and down the hall to find Derek and Cristina sitting on a gurney. "Hey." I tried my best to smile, "How's Meredith? Has the baby come yet?"

Derek looked up at me, "The baby's born but there were...complications."

"No!" I gasped, "Is she-"

Derek shook his head, "No. She's still in surgery though."

Sitting down with them, I sighed. "He looks like her." Derek smirked a little and looked to Cristina, "Did you see him?"

"Uh, no. I didn't." Cristina shook her head as another rumble of thunder sounded.

"Yeah, he looks like her." Derek repeated, trying to stay positive while his wife was in surgery, "His apgars are good. Six and a nine. He's gonna be fine."

Cristina took a breath, "He's gonna be great."

"Cristina? Ellie?" Derek choked out.

"Hey, Meredith Grey has survived a bomb, a drowning, a gunman, and a plane crash, and she's still here." Cristina told him, "She's gonna die when she's, like, ninety, old and warm in her bed. She is not gonna die today. Today she's gonna be fine."

Derek cleared his throat, "I hope so."

"She has to be." Cristina said as I tried to slow my heart down a little, "She's our person."

A few minutes later Bailey walked out. "Hey." we all jumped up from the gurney. "Um...M-Meredith had a massive splenic bleed." Bailey started, "I-I removed it, but...sh-she..."

Bailey started to cry as the three of us took off running. "Oh, God, no." Cristina panicked. The three of us ran into the O.R. where Shane and Heather stood by Meredith's side.

"She's fine." Shane looked up at us, "Bailey did it."

Heather nodded, "With an assist from Dr. Ross."

"Bailey decided, with the power out, it's safest just to keep her here till she wakes up," Shane informed us.

"She's alive?" Cristina asked.

Derek smiled and placed a kiss on Meredith's face as she slept, "She's alive."

"I'm sorry, guys." Bailey walked into the room, "I didn't mean to cry and...and scare you. I just... I just...oh!"

Derek walked over, kissed Bailey on the cheek and hugged her tight.

There's an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted. Once all the houses have been ripped apart. The wind will hush. The clouds will part. The rain will stop. The sky will clear in an instant. And only then... in those quiet moments after the storm... do we learn... who was strong enough to survive it?