35 | Lawsuit

"I have one last thing to say." Owen started to wrap up the quick attendings meeting we were having that morning, "Some of you, uh, may run into Arizona Robbins today. It's her first day back." everyone cheered, "Yeah, so if you see her, just make her feel welcome."

"Or maybe...maybe just don't make a big deal at all." Callie said, "It might be better."

Owen nodded as people started to get up, "Noted. Thank you. Oh, oh, hold on. I just want to address one more thing. Um, most of you are aware that a group of our doctors have filed a lawsuit against our hospital. Some of you may be wondering what this all means and how it's gonna affect our staff. I'd like to be clear. It doesn't...at all. Let's just let the lawyers worry about that. That's their job. Our job is to continue to work together and support each other in giving the great standard of care that we have always given. Let's not let something like this get in the way of that. Thank you."

══════════════════

"It was good that Owen said that about the lawsuit," Meredith said as we walked down the hall.

Cristina scoffed, "What, his 'one big happy family' crap? It's very sweet unless you're me."

"It needed to be said," I added.

"Yeah, unless you're the deformed wife chained in the attic," Cristina said.

"Well, what do you want to be to him?" Meredith asked, "You left him. Do you want to be something else?"

"Well, I don't want to be chained in the attic," Cristina assured us.

Just then, April ran up, "Hey, guys, have you seen Jackson? He's not answering my texts."

"Why, you looking for some Jackson action?" Cristina said and we all laughed, "Oh, my God. What did I tell you? Thirty years as a nun, she cannot get enough."

"Um, so you haven't seen him?" April asked.

Meredith shook her head, "No, but we will tell him that you really, really, really need to see him if-"

April just huffed and took off. "Bye, April." Cristina smiled.

══════════════════

Walking into the room that Alex and Arizona were in, I huffed. "What's wrong with you?" Alex asked like he maybe cared.

"There are so little trauma's today, and April took the good ones." I groaned, "She didn't even pass the boards, but somehow I'm the trauma surgeon that's not doing trauma today."

"You're welcome to help us for the day," Arizona said. Walking over, I smiled and gave her a hug, "It's so good to see you again. I feel like it's been ages."

Arizona nodded, "How are you? Any trouble with the side or leg?"

I shrugged, "Uh, pain sometimes in the side and I can't run all that well anymore, but otherwise, I'm not complaining. How about you?"

"Fine." she smiled before she looked down at her patient, a young boy, and started the exam, "Does that hurt at all, Sean?" Sean shook his head, "Good. Good. All right. You having any fun here? I heard there was a pro basketball player making his way around the halls here. Did you get to meet him? Tall guy. He probably hit his head on the door on the way in."

Sean didn't say a thing or even move. Arizona looked up at me and Alex and made a face, "All right, well, we will, um, check back with you later. Bye."

Arizona left the room and Sean instantly sat up. "Good job." Alex handed the kid some money.

"You said twenty if I didn't ask about the fake leg," Sean told him.

"I only got ten on me," Alex said.

Sean looked up at Alex, "The next time she comes in, I'm gonna tell her how you told me that I couldn't say anything."

Alex quickly reached into his pocket and pulled out another ten, "Keep your trap shut."

"Not only paying kids, but trying to hustle them too?" I laughed, "You really are evil spawn."

"Hey, is he always that quiet?" Arizona asked as Alex and I joined her in the hall.

Alex nodded, "Oh, yeah. Strange kid."

"Dr. Robbins, Dr. Kepner needs some extra hands on a horse trampling... fourteen-year-old." a nurse looked over to us.

My eyes widened, "There was a horse trampling and she didn't tell me?! What a shark!"

"All right. Tell 'em we're on our way." Alex told the nurse.

"Yeah. Um, I'll catch up with you." Arizona said.

"No, we can wait," Alex told her.

"No, a kid got trampled by a horse, Alex. Go." Arizona insisted.

Nodding, Alex and I took off. "No biting April's head off about it," Alex told me.

"Aw, you're no fun." I laughed, "Usually Alex Karev is all over tormenting April Kepner."

"Yeah, well...I'm trying to change myself. Remember."

"Yeah?" I laughed again, "And how's that working out for you?"

══════════════════

"Can you take over the ultrasound?" April asked when we entered the E.R. room, "He's got abdominal tenderness, and I need to get control of this bleeding. I think he may have lacerated his femoral vein."

"I used to ride horses." I helped Alex get the ultrasound ready, "Loved it. Got too expensive, but loved it. Never got trampled though...lucky me."

"My sneakers." the boy weakly said.

"What's that?" Alex asked.

The boy took a breath, "Don't lose my sneakers. They're two hundred bucks."

"That's why his leg slipped through the stirrup." I sighed, "You have to wear a shoe with a heel when you ride a horse."

"Kid spends two hundred bucks on sneakers, he's obviously not the king of awesome choices." Alex started the ultrasound, "All right, there's possible blood on the upper left quadrant."

"Great." April sighed, "Let's get him up to C.T."

"Hold on. Wait for Robbins." Alex said.

April looked to him, "Uh, are you kidding me?"

"She's on her way," Alex told her as we put the rails up on the bed.

"He just got dragged twenty yards by a horse." April objected.

"He's totally stable. Look, it's her first day back." Alex tried to convince her.

April disagreed, "He did a stupid thing. I'm not gonna let it ruin his life. Let's move this gurney right now."

"Right away, doctor." one of the nurses said as the three of us started to wheel the gurney out of the room.

══════════════════

"Ugh!" April groaned as she fiddled around with something during the boy's surgery.

"Dr. Kepner?" Arizona checked if she was okay.

April looked up, "Sorry, this P.D.S. suture isn't holding, and I can't get hemostasis. Horseback riding is supposed to be fun, but even if you wear the right shoes and a helmet and everything, protection doesn't always work. So you know what? What's the point? You might as well just ride bareback."

"Karev, can you take this over for a second?" Arizona asked.

"Yeah, sure," Alex said as Arizona took a few steps away from the table and rested.

Alex gestured for his intern, Heather, to push a chair closer to Arizona. The chair squeaked at Heather moved it, drawing attention. Arizona turned to her, "You, whatever your name is, can you stop stalking me with chairs? I-I'm stretching, which is normal. W-we all need to stretch sometimes. So can you just get that thing away from me?"

Alex gave a nod and Heather put the chair back. "Pickups." Arizona joined us back at the table again.

══════════════════

Once the surgery was over, Arizona kept us behind for a little bit. "All right, guys. Okay, let's make sure that we check pulses every two hours. I'm gonna go talk to the parents."

As Arizona started to walk off, she tripped over her prosthetic leg and fell. "Everybody out." Alex demanded, "I said get out."

Taking off with everyone else, I waited until Alex and Arizona walked out. "Are you okay?" I asked Arizona.

"Perfectly fine." she giggled as she walked off.

Turning to Alex, I smiled, "Wanna grab a drink?"

"Sure." he agreed.

Twenty minutes later we walked into Joe's. Sitting down at the bar, Jackson was also there. "You look like crap," Alex told him.

"Yeah." Jackson chuckled, "That's about right."

"Two beers." Alex ordered, "So, uh...Kepner's knocked up?"

My jaw fell open, "What?"

Jackson looked at Alex. "I mean, she was acting a little weirder than usual, and you were taking her blood." Alex said as we got our drinks.

"Well, not that it's any of your business, but...no, she is not knocked up," Jackson told us.

"That sounds like something to drink to." Alex took a sip of his beer, "Can we get another round?"

The bartender nodded, "Coming up."

"No more calling her weird," Jackson told Alex.

"She is," Alex replied.

Jackson nodded, "Yeah, I know. Just...you're not allowed to say it."

"Hey," I smiled as I held up my glass, "Here's to not being unexpected parents. Because let's face it, beside's Meredith, we would all really suck at it."