42 | Sneaky Operation

"For the millionth time, Jo and I are not into each other," Alex told us as we got ready in the lounge that morning.

"Oh, please." Cristina took a bite of whatever she was eating, "You and ponytail McGee were canines in heat last night. Literally."

Meredith sighed as she sat down on the couch, "Told you they were doing it, Avery. Pay up."

"You two are, like, one drink away from crazy monkey sex." Cristina added, "Just stuff her turkey. You'll feel better."

Alex scoffed, "I feel fine. Look, I'm not screwing my ex every night and I'm not taking advantage of interns on someone else's sofa." he turned to Jackson who was now dating Stephanie, "You're gonna pay to have that thing disinfected."

"I'm not taking advantage." Jackson denied, "It's a really nice sofa, though."

"Hey, Apes." I looked to April who had been standing in the doorway just listening to us for a while.

April sighed, "Hey, here's a question. Um, whatever happened to good old fashioned romance? No stuffing of turkeys or disinfecting sofas, but, you know, what about nice normal dates where people talk, share a meal, get to know each other, and then wind up together, not because they're monkeys, but because they have genuine feelings in a committed way. I mean, what is so wrong with that, huh?"

We all stared at her. "April, I don't even have time to sit down and have a meal by myself." I told her, "I am not going to have time to eat with someone else. Besides, sex feels better than eating anyway."

Meredith turned to April and looked at the sandwiches she was holding, "Are you gonna eat all of those?"

April just shook her head before walking out. "What happened to the April that always snuck off to do the dirty with Jackson in an on-call room?" I asked, "I miss her. Jackson...you've ruined April again."

"I didn't ruin her," Jackson told me.

I rolled my eyes, "Sure..."

══════════════════

"Every time I touch this thing, it deletes another patient," Meredith complained about the new tablets we had to use instead of charts.

"It deletes a patient?" I asked.

Jo, who walked up with Alex, Jackson, and Stephanie, nodded, "I did the exact same thing this morning. Here. Let me see..."

Meredith handed the tablet over, "Who are your stalkers?" she asked as she looked at the two people following them around with cameras.

"Oh, uh, the new guys are looking for a hospital show pony." Alex told us, "A face for the brochure."

Jackson nodded, "Yeah, Karev's my competition."

"Mm. If you can call it that." Stephanie said.

"You can't" Jackson scoffed.

"Bite me, pretty boy," Alex grumbled.

"And why aren't there women in the running?" Meredith asked.

"Oh, there was." Cristina said, "I turned them down. This face only goes on the Nobel brochure."

"And here we have a fully centralized electronic records system." Alana lead a group of possible buyers over to us,
"Everything you need to know about any client anytime. Smart, streamlines, efficient-"

"Oh, efficient." Meredith mocked, "It would be more efficient if it didn't keep deleting my patients."

I couldn't help but walk around the hospital with nothing to do that day. Since the E.R. was officially history, I just had to wait for someone to start bleeding really badly from somewhere. "Ellie." Jackson ran past with Jo, "Follow me."

Without asking many questions, I followed. Jackson explained that April had gone out in the field and they had a kid that was involved with a hit and run. They were bringing the kid to us, so we had to sneak and set up the E.R. for the kid. Jackson nodded, telling us that it was clear as he opened the E.R. door and we pushed the gurney in.

"Wow." Jo looked around at the pretty much empty room, "They really cleared the place out. Okay, where do we start?"

"You can start by guarding the door." Jackson told her as him and I lifted the blanket from the gurney to reveal the medical supplies we had brought, "Hey, no one can know about this. No one comes in. You understand?"

Jo nodded as she jogged to the door. Jackson quickly shoved all of the ladders out of the way as I started to grab the supplies. "Medusa me all you want." we heard Jo say from outside the door, "You're not getting in."

"I'm an attending. And I'm ordering you to let me in." Meredith's voice followed.

"Well, you're not my attending today, so-" Jo said back.

"Don't make me force you."

"I'd like to see you try."

"Hey." Jackson and I ran over to the door. "Jo. It's okay. I paged her. she's cool." Jackson said.

Jo turned to Meredith, "I hope you understand. I would never ordinarily speak to you that way and I look forward to working on your service again soon."

"How can I help?" Meredith asked.

Before I knew it we had way more people than planned working with us. "I just snagged a monitor, a ventilator, and central line kits," Jackson announced.

"I have saline, infusion pumps, a crash cart, and Cristina." Meredith ran into the quickly filling E.R.

Jo sighed, "I'm sorry. They overpowered me."

"The fewer people know about this, the better guys," Jackson said.

"I brought lackeys," Cristina told us as Shane and Heather walked in.

Jackson looked up at them, "What? No, I don't need interns."

"No, this room has three internal exits." Cristina reminded him, "You have a lookout on one. Happy, ponytail, you man the doors. Mousy, um, you be the nurse. We need gloves."

"On it." Shane took off with Jo.

"Why do I have to be the nurse?" Heather complained.

I sighed, "We are gonna need lights."

"No, if I turn on more overheads you can see it from the hallway," Jackson said as his phone went off.

Meredith pointed to the construction lights, "We can use those."

Jackson answered his phone, "Hello. Yep. Okay. All right. They're pulling up now. Let's go."

Everyone ran to the doors as the ambulance drove up outside. However, when the sliding doors didn't open, Heather ran right into them. "Oh, jeez." Cristina huffed.

"I'm okay," Heather told us.

"That's why we needed interns," Meredith said.

"The door won't open?" Jackson rushed over and tried to pull them open as April and the two paramedics we knew very well, Matthew and Nicole, rolled the gurney with the kid up.

"April, what's going on?" Matthew asked as they approached the doors.

"I don't know." April banged on the glass, "Jackson? Jackson!"

"Pull," Jackson ordered as we all tugged on the heavy doors.

"It's starting to give," Shane commented.

Alex walked up from out of nowhere, "Go sit down, Mer."

"Oh, come on. Just because my uterus is occupied-" Meredith argued.

"Go sit down." Alex ordered, "I'm not kidding. Give me your spot."

"What?" Jackson asked as Alex stepped in for Meredith.

"Don't worry. I ditched my P.R. chick before I got down here." Alex assured us.

Jackson was still confused, "How did you know that we-"

"I paged him." Jo spoke up, "You've got an incoming kid. You're gonna need kid-sized equipment."

"I brought a Peds cart with a bunch of crap." Alex said as we all held the door, "All right. Are we doing this?"

"All right, guys, on my count." Jackson instructed, "One, two, three!"

On three we all yanked on the doors and eventually got them wide enough for April and the paramedics to push the gurney through. "We need to do rapid sequence intubation, stat!" April ordered as we let go of the doors, letting them close again, and followed her.

This was going to be an interesting day.