70 | On With the Show

"What's the update on those paramedics, Avery?" Owen asked as he walked back over to us.

Jackson turned to him, "Should be here any minute."

"No pulse." Callie put her fingers to the fallen dancer's foot as she knelt down, "Okay. Hold still. This is gonna hurt. Ready on my count. One, two...three."

On three, Callie twisted the ankle to get the bone back into the leg. The woman screamed out as people still gathered around and watched. "This way, guys." Alex lead the paramedics in as Cristina walked out, "Where are you going?"

"Oh, back to the hospital." she answered, "Some junkie with endocarditis is tamponading."

Alex looked to her, worry on his face, "Which junkie?"

"There's more than one?" Cristina replied with another question as Alex followed her outside to head back to the hospital with her.

"You know, we're about ready to roll." one of the paramedics called out as Owen and I exited the building.

"Hey, I'm coming, too." Jackson caught up with us.

Owen turned to him, "How are we doing on our fund-raising goal?"

"Oh, we're not even halfway there," Jackson replied.

"Well, then you've got plenty to do here," Owen told him as the two of us hopped into the back of an ambulance. Best part of being a Trauma surgeon is that you're always needed, no matter the case.

"You said what?" Owen looked at Callie with shock as she picked up the bone drill, referring to the fact that Callie had been telling people that Arizona had died in the plane crash at the gala.

"I was cornered by the widow Amos...who was, you know, actually a widow." she answered as she started up the drill, "Her story was so sad, and she took out her checkbook, and I...ugh, I'm so gross."

"Yeah." I nodded as Owen and I chuckled.

"I sort of get it, though," Owen told her as we watched her work.

Callie looked up momentarily, "Really?"

Owen nodded, "Mm. This stuff...it's not easy. And Cristina, she keeps pushing me to date."

"God, I can't even think about that." Callie groaned.

"Yeah. You really can't keep telling people that she's dead." Owen said.

Callie stopped the drill, "I know."

"Doctors, we have visitors." Jackson's voice rang out over the intercom. Looking up, a small crowd of people from the gala were standing in the gallery. "What is he up to?" I asked.

"I don't know." Owen sighed as we got back to work.

"Okay, now if you'll notice the pins that Dr. Torres is drilling into place...that is the external fixation I was telling you about." we heard Jackson tell the people.

"Are-are we allowed to be here?" one man asked.

I looked up to see Jackson nod, "Yes, I spoke with Irina's husband. He said if there's one thing that she believes in, it's that the show must go on. Now we showed you guys a circus tonight. But this...this is the real show. This is what we do here. We are gonna get this woman back on her feet. And then before you leave this evening, I would ask that you please consider helping us get back on ours."

Callie looked to us and raised her eyebrows, impressed with Jackson's speech. "How much do you need?" the same man asked and Owen gave Jackson a nod of approval.

Overture, curtain, lights. This is it...the night of nights. No more rehearsing and nursing a part. We know every part by heart. Tonight, what heights we'll hit. On with the show. This is it.