73 | Support

Researchers are currently working to make a map of the human brain. It may be the most complex map ever created...billions of neurons making trillions of connections. At first glance, they seem completely random. But there is nothing random about them. All these connections have to happen...in a specific pattern. It is designed for a function. These connections determine everything about us... what we love... what we hate... what we say... what we do... every action we take.

Reaching up, I knocked on the door to my Dad and sister's house. I had been dreading this day for a while now. I was finally going to tell them about a pregnancy.

Sometimes I forgot that my mother had died. I mean, I remember coming home that night before the boards and then finding out the next morning that she had passed away during surgery, but that was at a time in my life where everything was going wrong. Not long after I was in the plane crash and all the bad things just piled up...so I just tried to forget everything.

As the door swung open, I stood up straight and put a smile on my face like I was attending a job interview or an important meeting. "Ellie!" my Dad smiled back and pulled me in for a hug, "It's so good to see you, my darling."

"Ellie!" I heard Skylar's voice, followed by footsteps as she ran down the stairs. My eyes went directly to her right arm...or, where her right arm should have been. Sometimes I forgot about that, too.

"How are you?" I asked as we hugged.

Skylar pushed some hair out of her face, "Great! My writing with my left hand is becoming somewhat readable and I'm re-learning to drive with one arm."

"That's good," I told her.

"So." my dad closed the front door, "What's this news you need to tell us?"

"Let's sit down first." I insisted as we moved into the living room.

══════════════════

"You're what?!" my Dad and sister asked after I told them. I couldn't tell by the looks on their faces at the moment if they were happy or not.

I took a breath, "Pregnant."

"But you're not married." Skylar pointed out, "You're not even dating."

I shot her a look, "Thanks for reminding me."

"Well, who's baby is it?" my father forced a small smile, "Is it that Plastic surgeon you were dating a while ago? What was his name...Jake?"

I shook my head, "Jackson; and no."

"Aww. I liked him." Skylar complained like a small child.

"It's someone I work with." I explained, "His name is, uh, Alex. He's a Pediatric surgeon, which means he operates on babies and kids. So he's not the worst choice for a father."

Skylar smirked, "I met him once. Remember when I asked if you two were dating and you said 'No.'? Guess you don't need to be dating to have a baby with someone."

"Skylar." I groaned, "Are you going to be like this the whole way."

"No, I'm done now," she assured me.

My father shifted on the couch, "Well, this isn't exactly how I imagined you telling us. But, I imagined your mother being here so not everything can be planned out, now can it? Do you need anything? Money?"

"No." I told him, "No...no, Dad. I just want to know if I have your support."

My Dad looked to Skylar and she nodded, "Well, you have it."

I ate dinner at their house that night and we talked for hours. It felt good catching up with them. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the lives we made for ourselves, that we forget about the life our parents made for us. And, yes, sometimes parents are better off out of your life; but in my case, I needed them. And although I only had one parent right now, I still had a kick-ass family.

But we know that every connection matters. Every connection is crucial. And when one is broken...it usually means some damage has been done. This system of connections compels us to act and choose and behave. Sometimes seemingly against our own will. But it is not random at all. It is the map of who we are. How all the connections work... and all the pieces...fit.