55 | Annoying

Alex.

I was a trauma surgeon; saving lives every day in extremely tough and overwhelming situations, but all I could think about was Alex. He was always racing through my mind, like one of those annoying pop songs. You know what's annoying? This...my life. My life is annoying.

"Swag bags for the Syrians." April explained as we gathered in the lounge; ready for the doctors from Syria to arrive, "Some, um, sweatshirts and baseball caps, post-its. Ooh, really cool penlights."

"Ooh, those are nice." Arizona agreed as April shone the light around the room.

"You're sending post-its to Syria?" Webber asked.

Owen nodded, "Yeah, I'm working with Doctors Aid International. We've flown in two Syrian doctors. They're General Practitioners, but now with the war, they've been recruited to staff the field hospitals. They're getting advanced Trauma training with Seattle Pres, and they're here for a crash course in basic surgical skills."

Arizona nodded, "They need to learn what they can do quick and dirty."

"They rope you in?" Webber turned to her as he sat up in his chair.

"Mm-Hm." Arizona looked down at her clipboard.

"Which must mean that..." Webber started.

"Yeah." Arizona sighed, "Yeah, they're losing a lot of kids."

Webber took a deep breath as he raised his coffee mug, "Godspeed." and with that, he left the room.

"All right, let's get this stuff with the boxes of supplies we're sending back with them." Owen turned to April and I.

Callie stepped up, "Ah, so Bailey got her Genome thing funded. You got this thing funded. I need to get my cartilage project bankrolled while we still got bank."

Owen chuckled as Stephanie walked in. "Dr. Hunt?" she walked over to us and held out one of the tablets that we used, "Dr. Avery's recommendation on your burn patient."

"Oh." Owen took the tablet from her and looked at what was on the screen.

"Hey." April called Stephanie over, "Um, have you rounded on Matthew Taylor yet? He was one of Avery's patients yesterday."

Stephanie nodded, "He was here overnight for observation. They were worried about a concussion. He'll probably leave this afternoon. I think his mom's coming to get him."

Owen turned back to Stephanie and handed the tablet back, "Tell Avery that is fine." he turned to us, "Ready?"

"Yeah." Arizona and I answered as we took off with him, April staying behind to ask Stephanie another question.

══════════════════

"Okay, we're gonna try as closely as we can to replicate your circumstances in the field hospital." Owen said to the Syrian doctors as we stepped up to the table with the dummy on it, "The most important skills you need in a wartime situation is controlling bleeding. Normally we'd use lasers and argon beam coagulators, but as you can see, for now, we're only using the contents of this tray."

Owen looked down at the tray that April and Arizona had brought in which pretty much mad the basics of surgical equipment. The second Syrian doctor turned to the other and started to speak in what I could only guess was Arabic. "Is something wrong?" I asked them.

The first doctor turned to us, "Uh, we, um, before had all of these things, but recently the supply truck cannot reach us, and the electricity is unreliable, so many of our instruments, we-we cannot use so if you want to, um, replicate our circumstances, we may need to adjust this slightly."

"Please." Owen motioned to the tray, "We're here to make this work for you."

"Thank you." the doctor smiled and stepped over to the tray. He began to remove thing after thing until the tray had barely anything on it. "This is more right," he said.

"Also..." the other doctor stepped over to the lights and shut them all off before he pulled a small flashlight out of his pocket. Turning the flashlight on for our only source of light, he looked back up at us, "Now we go."

Owen looked at us as I exhaled. This was going to be beyond tricky. After a quick demonstration of the things we could use, we lead the men to the supply closet. "We're gonna send you back with a bunch of equipment, uh, but if supplies aren't reaching you and there's no electricity, then we're gonna have to figure out another way," Owen explained.

I smiled and held out a box, "Yeah, so, um, take a look around and see what items you do have left in the field hospital, and, uh, put it in the box."

The men nodded as they began to look around the room. "Dr. Hunt." Shane ran into the room, "Can I borrow you?"

Owen looked to him as he explained that Rachel Dawson was awake. Rachel was one of the victims from the gas tanker yesterday so Owen took off with Shane.

Once the box was full and Owen had returned, we all walked into one of the small classroom-like-rooms where almost everyone I knew was sitting and waiting for us. "Thank you for coming, everyone." Owen, April, Arizona, and I stepped up to the large table at the front of the room and placed the box down, "Sorry we had to rearrange your schedule, but this is important."

I looked to the room full of doctors, "We've got two Syrian doctors here. They used to be G.P.'s, but now they're operating in a field hospital in a war zone."

Owen nodded, "We were planning on teaching them surgical procedures they could do with limited resources, but it turns out they have way less to work with than we anticipated."

"Just give 'em more stuff," Alex suggested. I looked to him and instantly felt fuzzy. As I said, couldn't get him out of my mind.

Webber spoke up, "When it runs out in two weeks, they'll be right back where they started. He wants to help them function with what they know they have."

"Which is this." April motioned to the box that was full of basic supplies.

"So...we need to be able to do the procedures on this list using only what is in this box." Owen placed a piece of paper on the desk as everyone jumped up to look at what we had.

"Are you kidding me?" Cristina asked, "There's no way."

Owen looked up at her, "There has to be. We gotta figure it out."