60 | Won't or Can't?

"Hey, I heard, uh, you guys are going back in. What happened?" Callie asked as the nurses gloved the four of us.

"Abdominal compartment syndrome." Webber answered, "We need to decompress her abdomen."

Callie sighed, "Okay, obviously, you don't need me. By the way, uh, it's not just me. Bailey hates all of us."

"Not now, Torres," Webber told her as we stepped up to the table.

Callie ignored him, "She won't even turn around when someone comes to the door. I mean, you'd-you'd probably get her to open it if it were you, Richard."

"That's probably true." Meredith agreed.

Webber turned to the scrub nurse, "I said not now. Scissors."

"Right away." the scrub nurse nodded.

"No, I'm just saying, you're probably the one person who'd get through to her." Callie pushed.

"No!" Webber snapped, "I am the one person Bailey does not want to see right now. I hurt her, deeply, and I'm not sure I'll be able to repair it. So let's leave it alone. And let's focus, please, on saving this woman's life."

"Sorry, Richard." Callie apologized, "I'll come back for the pelvis when you're done.

The surgery went pretty well and before I knew it, we had Kayla back in the I.C.U.

"Oh, good." Jackson rushed around the corner and stood with us as we waited for Bailey to get out of the bathroom, "I didn't miss it."

Callie shook her head, "Nope. Just in time. I think."

As Bailey exited the bathroom, she stared up at the seven of us that were staring back at her. Bailey just sighed and started to walk past us. "Well, it was her idea." Cristina blamed Callie.

"No, you won't come out of the lab. You gave us no other choice." Callie defended herself.

"Bailey, just hear us out," Arizona begged.

I nodded, "Yeah, um, Avery wants to apologize."

"We all want to apologize." Jackson shot me a look as we followed Bailey down the hall.

Meredith ran to the front, "Yes, he screwed up. He knows that. He should've had your back more."

"Derek, go," Callie ordered.

Derek pushed passed Meredith, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, you know, I would be just as mad as you are. You've seen me mad. I hang out in the woods and I drink myself into a stupor. But the thing I've learned from hiding out is, it doesn't work. And, Bailey, we need you. This hospital does not work without you."

Bailey just continued to ignore us as she walked back into the lab and locked herself in again. "Oh." Arizona sighed as her pager went off, "911 in the E.R. Gotta go."

Angrily, Callie marched over to the lab door and banged on it, "Guess what, lady. This isn't even your lab. Okay? We bought it for you." she turned back to us, "Was it too much?"

"Yeah." Derek nodded as we started to split off. 

══════════════════

"Is she gonna be okay?" Cherise asked as Meredith, Webber, and I joined her and Danny outside Kayla's room.

"Um...the next twenty-four hours is gonna be critical." Webber told her, "I'm hoping to see her liver and kidney function improve."

"So she's out of the woods?" Danny questioned.

Cherise turned to him, "He didn't say that, Danny."

"Okay, you two, stop it." I crossed my arms, "Stop fighting. Whatever happened, whatever the history, you need to get over it. It's not important. She needs you."

Cherise and Danny turned around to look through the glass sliding door at Kayla. "You know, I...I saw how...unhappy she was, and I just ignored it." Danny confessed, "She tried to talk to me a couple of times, and I just...I just shut it down. You know, I thought if I could...get us better gigs and make some more money and become more famous...that, um...maybe she'd love me again."

"Danny...right now we need to be thinking about Kayla," Cherise said.

Danny turned to face Cherise, "I am. She doesn't need me. She needs you. You...you see her. You love her. You...you're the one who can help her."

That night as I headed out of the hospital, I pulled the test out of my pocket and looked at it. I thought about how much those two little lines meant for me. How much my life would change if I actually had this baby.

As I turned the corner, I bumped into Alex and the test fell to the floor. "Sorry," Alex grumbled as I quickly reached down to grab the stick, but it was too late. "Who's preg-" he looked at me, "Wait...are-are you pregnant?"

As tears welled up in my eyes, I nodded. "Y-yeah." I choke out.

His eyes grew wide, "And it's mine?"

"Yes, but I'm not even sure I want to keep it." I replied, "So, don't worry about it."

Taking a deep breath, I pushed passed him and headed out to my car. "Ellie...I-" Alex caught up with me as I opened my car door, "I'm...I'm in love with Jo. I-I can't do this."

"So you followed me just to say you don't want to do this." I snapped.

Alex grabbed me by the shoulders, "I didn't say I won't. I said I can't."

"A-Alex." I sobbed, "I'm scared."

"I know." he pulled me in for a hug, "I know."

There's no such thing as magic. Not in the traditional...abracadabra, genie in a bottle kind of way. But there is a magic in knowing that while not everything can be repaired...most everything can be survived.